Official Review: Far From All Else by Tom Lally

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Last Merry Go Round by C.L. Charlesworth

Official Review: Far From All Else by Tom Lally

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Far From All Else" by Tom Lally.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Depression was like a game of Russian roulette. I never knew how I was going to feel."

As anyone knows, navigating life through the eyes of a young adult can be confusing. Throw depression and anxiety into the mix, and things can go south very quickly. Feeling detached from his life, 20-year-old Drew Thomas withdraws from college and heads home on a midnight train. Unfortunately, he does not receive the warm homecoming he'd imagined. Instead, he is met with outrage by his father, who believes mental illness is a hoax. He demands that Drew start making changes, or he will find himself homeless.

After several suicide attempts, Drew is admitted to a psychiatric hospital where he will spend an undetermined amount of time. He is hesitant about the process and wants nothing more than to be left alone in his despair. Will he become another casualty of depression, or will his stay at the facility give him a new lease on life?

Far From All Else by Tom Lally is a YA book about self-discovery, adversity, and pushing through when life seems impossible. It is told from the first-person perspective and follows Drew on his journey to recovery. The author addresses weighty issues such as suicide, psychological abuse, and the reality of living with depression. Readers are pulled into Drew's world through the emotional transparency that jumps off the pages. The writing is expressive and cohesive, and readers can expect to be fully immersed in the story.

My favorite aspect about Far From All Else was the connection I felt to the main character. From the first page, Drew's voice resonated with me, and I was transported back to when I was a teen who was struggling to make sense of the world. Adolescence is one of the most challenging times in a person's life, and it can often feel as if you are a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. Drew lacked a sense of belonging, and this was shown through his suicide attempt.

Throughout the book, I was introduced to several secondary characters that made a significant impact on Drew's road to wellness. Though several members of his family wrote him off, his sister, Riley, supported his road to recovery. Her weekly visits to the facility reminded him that he was loved. Another person who made a profound impact on him was Dr. Phillips, who encouraged him to pursue his passion for writing. She said, "You are talented, and while I cannot promise you accolades or success in your future, I do know that if you never try, I can promise you will never have a chance of succeeding." Finally, Leighton, another patient in the facility, sparked his interest and made him feel needed by pouring her heart out to him.

While the book had a few minor grammatical errors, they were not exhaustive, and it didn't take away from the reading experience. The story was easy to follow, and the author wrote with precision and eloquence. I chose to give Far From All Else a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The book contains some profanity and graphic scenes of attempted suicide that may be a trigger for some readers. Far From All Else would appeal to teens and adults; it is impactful and will surely strike a chord with you. I found myself thinking about Drew's character long after I had finished the book. For readers who enjoy character-driven stories, you won't be disappointed!

Far From All Else
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 338
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Just Another Day by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Another important book. Mental illness is so rampant and devastating. I'm glad that authors are tackling this subject. It helps to at least know you aren't the only one struggling. Thanks so much!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Lily Fairchild by Don Gutteridge

Post by mmm17 »

I think I would also relate to a teen struggling to make sense of the world. Thank you for a wonderful review! :tiphat:

Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 16:13
Wow! Another important book. Mental illness is so rampant and devastating. I'm glad that authors are tackling this subject. It helps to at least know you aren't the only one struggling. Thanks so much!
Yes, it is so important for others to know that they aren't alone. Thanks for your comment!

Stephanie Elizabeth

mmm17 wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 17:18
I think I would also relate to a teen struggling to make sense of the world. Thank you for a wonderful review! :tiphat:
Thanks!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: A Murder In Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda by Jesse Moreno

Post by kdstrack »

The author highlights an important topic that affects more young people every year. I am happy that the book is addressed to young adults. Hopefully, this will reach many people who are feeling hopeless and without direction in their life. Thanks for your thoughtful review.

Stephanie Elizabeth

kdstrack wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 21:51
The author highlights an important topic that affects more young people every year. I am happy that the book is addressed to young adults. Hopefully, this will reach many people who are feeling hopeless and without direction in their life. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
You are right--it is great that this book targets the YA audience. Thanks for your thoughtful comment!

kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the soccerer's stone
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by kperm »

This book is very emotional. I think it will be hard for me to read it, so I will skip this one. Thank you for your review.

Stephanie Elizabeth

kperm wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 17:38
This book is very emotional. I think it will be hard for me to read it, so I will skip this one. Thank you for your review.
Thanks!

2nndchances
Favorite Book: Daring to Dream
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by 2nndchances »

I will definitely read this book; I have worked with adolescents as a mental health professional for many years. I am curious to see if it is portrayed accurately.

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Shadow Eclipse Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: If These Stones Could Talk by Elaine Buck and Beverly Mills
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oof. The way Drew's father talks about his mental illness is unfortunately very familiar to me. I probably won't pick this one up but I definitely think it's worth reading because of the way it handles Drew's illness and recovery. Thanks for this.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”