To all the boys I've loved before by jenny han

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ellie_rue
Currently Reading: Gilead
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-rue.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Re: To all the boys I've loved before by jenny han

Post by ellie_rue »

HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 10:30 I really enjoyed watching the film and I usually do like YA books. Would you say the book is better than the film?
I enjoyed the book much more than the film. Sometimes actors don't portray things quite as accurately as words can. You also get much more insight in the book.
AURa48
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aura48.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by AURa48 »

I love to read young adult books but this one really disappointed me. I thought that it was very predictable and the main character was not reliable at all. I genuinely wanted to read this book because everybody recomended it but once I did, I didn't understand what all the hype was about. It wasn't necessarily bad but there are a lot of clichés and things that don't make sense.
terigenevieve
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by terigenevieve »

I think it’s a fantastic book. I adore Jenny Han’s work and this was the first book that made me cry of joy. No spoilers, but it wasn’t even to do with Lara Jean and Peter. I have to say, I do believe that Jenny Han’s ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’ trilogy is the best but this book / trilogy helped me find Jenny Han as an author and appreciate her work.
Tinynova

Post by Tinynova »

Great book I think that the book is better than the movie but the movie is still good. The ending is my favorite because she gets the guy.
SGalvarez1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgalvarez1995.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by SGalvarez1995 »

I really enjoyed the movies, and actually bought the book but I haven’t read it yet. I know books are always better. But since I watched the movie first, I don’t know. What do you guys think?
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

ellie_rue wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:19
HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 10:30 I really enjoyed watching the film and I usually do like YA books. Would you say the book is better than the film?
I enjoyed the book much more than the film. Sometimes actors don't portray things quite as accurately as words can. You also get much more insight in the book.
I was going to ask the same thing so I'm really glad that you thought the book was better! I'm more excited to read it now
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

kdhutchinson wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 15:01
Strangeminds wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 00:49
I think that the book an the movie are both excellent. But the book has more detailed descriptions and all of the events has not been included in the movie though the movie itself is really entertaining.. But I prefer the book over the movie as it lets us connect with the characters more. Also, only the first book's movie has been released and the sequels are yet to come out.

Thanks for commenting on this. I've watched the movie multiple times and I didn't honestly know it was book until I happened to see this post in this forum. I'm excited to now read it!

Do you have other recommendations for YA fiction in this same vein (the "romance" subgenre, I suppose)? It's been a while since I have read novels aimed at younger audiences, but I am starting to branch out in my personal creative writing, and this is an avenue I want to explore. I usually like to read up on a genre before I try to dabble, so I'm interested if you have read works by some other authors ?
'By your side' is a good one. Also I'd recommend 'All The bright places'. 'Just one day', 'Saint anything', 'The Fault in our stars', 'fangirl', 'Eleanor and Park', 'My fair godmother' 'amy and Roger's epic detour' are some others that I love. Hope this helps you
CHELSEAv

Post by CHELSEAv »

i really loved the movie and i am yet to read the book, i am addicted and i have watched it alot :P :P
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I haven't read the book yet... I saw the movie without knowing it was a book first, but I really liked it, and from what I read in everyones posts it seems like a really good book so I am gonna put it on my to-read list!!!
JewelReviews

Post by JewelReviews »

The Book was AMAGING!! I absolutely loved it. The movie also was great, but, much like any similar films inspired or made based on a book, it will always fall in the shadows of the original piece. The book holds description and a certain level of intimacy a screenplay could never capture. More or less, both pieces were great and I really enjoyed <3
Cossette

Post by Cossette »

I absolutely love this series! I have read the first book so many times that it’s starting to wear out! I hadn’t read a book with an ethnic person as the main character ever so this book really stood out to me. Although I’m hispanic and not asian, it still is nice to see somebody represent someone so strong and beautiful who isn’t white as laura jean did!
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

Did anyone see 'To all the boys I' ve love before: Always and Forever'?. I just finished watching it anfmd I've got to say I'm head over heels in love with it. From the overall theme of the movie to the setting, the bright and pastel colours which dominate the costumes and the scenes, the movie has a really beautiful aesthetic. One feels like rewatching each and every scene because of the beauty of each scene. The cute chemistry shared between the actors add to the beauty of the movie and is really a treat for the eye. So I suggest that whoever hasn't watched it do so immediately.
The movie is streaming on Netflix at the moment.
Do leave your comments about the movie after watching it.
avapace15

Post by avapace15 »

This book is a great romance for teens! It follows a high school girl named Lara Jean, who’s love letters were accidentally sent out. While facing the embarrassment of the love letters being sent out, she unexpectedly falls for someone. This book is definitely one of my favorites! This book isn’t really inappropriate so it could probably be read by ages 12 and up.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I remember I read the books before the movies came out. I read the first book and liked it, but wasn't a huge fan of the second one. Never tried reading the third. The movies were pretty cute though!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Cezlie

Post by Cezlie »

I know this is the worst thing to do as a reader but I watched the movie first! *dramatic gasps* I wanted to the read the books first but couldn't find them in a set or for a cheaper price. I currently am up to book 2 and oh goodness is it much better than the films. I love Peter Kavinsky in the book because he's more realistically portrayed whereas the movie he seemed more fictional and 2D. Lara Jean's character I feel like was more "I like her but I don't" in the book and I actually liked that because aren't we all slightly like that sometimes, she is a bit childish at points but I feel like as a middle child she's lived her life that way and when it's her time to be responsible it hits her more (I think her character's going to progress more in the books than the movie). I did however like Gen and Chris in the movie more than in the books because they weren't so (once again) fictional and 2D. Anyone who is looking for a quick, cutesy read should check this series out, it leaves you all mushy and smiley inside. - Cezlie

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”