Review by Brittanyr1999 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brittanyr1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanyr1999.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Brittanyr1999 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Brittanyr1999 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Opaque by Cālix Leigh-Reign is the riveting story of Adam Caspian and his unexplainable feelings of hatred to those around him and his unnerving love for his mother, Jo. The story starts with explicit explanations of his odd behaviors and his deepest secrets. Adam views the human race as nothing more than narrow-minded animals with disgusting and predictable behaviors… except for Jo. The feelings Adam has for his mother stretch further than a normal mother-son bond.

Adam has always subconsciously noticed his abilities to control the wind, which he nicknames Zsita, and how often when he thinks of hurting someone it comes true. He labels all these events as coincidence and tells himself that all humans have these capabilities if they’d stop acting like animals long enough to train themselves to use them. On his first day back to school after summer break, a beautiful girl who introduces herself as Carly enters his history class. He senses her presence immediately when she steps through the door because she has the same cinnamon and apple scent that his mom has, which he loves so much.

Adam feels an unexplainable connection towards Carly that he hasn’t felt since Terry, his muse and biggest regret. Unknown to Adam yet, this connection he feels is his ancient Russian biokenretic core connecting to Carly’s. The story unravels Adam’s history and the reasoning behind his unusual connection to the wind and his thoughts through his tumultuous tale.

The aspect that made this novel so intriguing is the layering and folding of all the small details. There are so many small details that end up having great meaning in the overall story. This keeps the story very interesting and adds great surprises. There was very little about this story that I didn’t love. The only small detail is the parts of the story that are in Russian and not translated within the text. Most of the Russian is translated but there is one a part in particular that contains a few lines of Russian with no translation. This slightly detracts from that scene because I had to translate to understand what was going on.

This novel would appeal to anyone who enjoys science fiction novels as it focuses on gene mutations, however, it would also be enjoyed by those who like fantasy. This story would be good for anyone within the young adult and older categories. Some scenes in the story are too graphic or erotic for anyone younger but not too graphic to exclude young adults.

This novel earned a 4 out of 4 stars because of how well the author crafted the story. The small but important details create so much body and depth to the book. I haven’t enjoyed a novel this much since I first read Harry Potter. I even went as far as to purchase the second book before I finished the first so that I wouldn’t have to wait to continue this heart-pounding story.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”