Review by KingK123 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KingK123
Favorite Book: The Sultan's Harem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingk123.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Review by KingK123 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by KingK123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign, gives us a look inside the life a troubled youth named Adam Caspian. Adam is incredibly angry at the world and deems all humans who walk it to be mere animals. The only person who holds a special place in his heart and is subject to his obsession is his mother, Jo. One day, a new student is welcomed to his school; Carly. Adam and Carly become drawn to one another for reasons they cannot explain. However, what Adam does not know is that Carly is the descendant of Russian mutants who contain powers outside the realms of his own imagination.

Leigh-Reign introduces Adam to us as a volatile and incredible unstable teenager. His infatuation over his mother has gone beyond maternal love and crosses into an oedipal complex. There is nothing inherently good about his character in the beginning. He even plays a large part in the case of a missing girl whose he inadvertently causes. The audience can see that as the book progresses, the lack of comfortability his character initially gave us begins to dissipate. Carly’s presence makes him gentler and more in tune with his own emotions. He takes a drastic turn from being someone with homicidal tendencies to someone worthy of redemption. The merging of Carly into his life and the discovery of missing pieces belonging to his own heritage convince him the world may not be so bad after all.

In opposition to Adam, Carly is a very strong character in mind, body, and soul. She tries to avoid him at first due to the bad energy he emitted, but finds she is drawn to him. Her supernatural core is connected to his own even before he discovers he, too, is supernatural. What was great about the book is that though Carly falls in love with Adam, her strength is not lost. If anything, she only becomes progressively stronger, thus breaking the notion other books provide that a woman in love is a woman who loses herself.

The author provided narratives from both Adam’s and Carly’s points of view. This allowed me to connect to the characters more and understand their motives. Leigh-Reign also did an excellent job at covering all bases in regards to any unanswered questions the reader may have. Though this is a series, this could almost be a standalone novel. The actual formatting of the novel was beautiful as well as there was plenty of décor within the chapters and illustrations.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars due to the author’s attention to detail. I found no errors in the book, therefore I believe it was professionally edited. The most enjoyable portions of the book for me would be the moments of historical explanation regarding the mutations. The only thing I disliked was the lack of resolution regarding the girl who died because of Adam’s recklessness. It would have been soothing to see some justice for her as she was simply an innocent. I would recommend the book to other patrons of novels or shows that focus on superheroes.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”