Review by JonicaBradley -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonicaBradley
Currently Reading: Dharma Bums
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonicabradley.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by JonicaBradley -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by JonicaBradley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Drew Pellucid

Follow William Cleary to a crystalline world of snow and ice.

Will is on a quest to find his twin sister, Emmy, and save two worlds.

The world that Will and Emmy were born into, the world of flesh and bone, has been having a rash of missing children.

Children are mysteriously disappearing, never to be heard from again. Will's twin, Emmy is one such child.

The world Will suddenly finds himself in, Echoland, is an icy land in turmoil. Will must find his sister, and save a kingdom never knowing who he can trust.

The two worlds sit atop each other. The top world, of flesh and bone, our world, is referred to as the world of sound, the people in it are called Sounds.

The bottom world, of sea, ice, and snow appears to be a reflection of the world. It is called Echoland. The people there are duplicates of the Sounds and are called Echoes. Sound and Echo.

Will must save them both.

Dew Pellucid does a wonderful job painting vivid pictures with her words. It is almost as if she experienced everything first hand.

I greatly enjoyed her many creative turns of phrase that are descriptive and humorous.

For example, of a plant tangled around a small body, she writes, ". . . like a diaper of seaweeds."

Readers who enjoyed coming of age stories of young boys such as Eragon by Christopher Paolini and Neverwhere by Neil Gaimon will enjoy The Crystilleries of Echoland.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The story kept me engaged to the very end. The setting was charming, unique, and refreshing. The characters were believable, and the plotline had twists and turns. I never knew if a character was a good guy or bad guy until the very end.

There was not much to dislike about this story. If I had to choose one thing, it would be an overabundance of sea, snow, and ice similes.

I did not notice a single typo, misspelled word, or grammatical error. I usually find at least one. This book appears to be professionally edited.

In addition, the illustrations by Andy Simmons and Tal Boldo are beautiful. The art adds to the story rather than simply existing as a place holder.

I found no profanity in the book. Any expletives were in Echo. For example, "Crystal goblins!"

I recommend this book to younger YA readers, aged between 9 and 12 years. I feel it is on the same reading level as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I loved Eragon, and, in general I really enjoy fantasy so I'm sure I'll love this one. Thank you for the review, I'll be sure to pick this one up!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”