Review by tayloremily -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tayloremily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayloremily.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Review by tayloremily -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by tayloremily »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the book Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer the author presents an interesting story about two teenage boys who mysteriously end up on a island fighting for their lives. I think this is a intriguing story that could really happen to anyone and is also a well known story line for other books, TV shows and movies. I give this a 4 out of 4 star rating simply because it had no spelling errors and was clearly professionally edited.

I feel like it could have had a lot more vivid wording and details written throughout. I also would have enjoyed more intense scenes and adventure. It seems a little bland for a survival story. I do realize it is more of a juvenile read, so I recommend this for teenagers or adults who want something different to read than their usual choice of story.

Matthew and Ryan wake up one day obviously stranded on an island with no memory of how they got there. Two best friends who grew up together since kindergarten, are now forced to discover who did this to them, what happened to bring them to this island, when, where and why this has happened to them. With no clues yet, they decide to toughen up and stick together to get through this crazy thing going on. How will they figure it out? Is this some kind of sick game somebody is playing on them or did something truly tragic happen to get them here?

Overall, this is a good read and a quick one. With only 23 chapters I think this could have had a lot more action in it. There was no profanity and no erotic scenes in this book. However, I do appreciate how the author was super creative in the mysterious happenings of the book. These were all situations I have never heard of in island stories. I give credit where credit is due, so for that part I applaud the author for their creativity in unique situations that keep u reading.

In the end I can say I enjoyed this book. I do however, wish the author would have expanded the details and length of each adventure that occurred. I feel like this book has a lot of potential for more thrill if only they had spent more time in each situation to give the reader more insight into the characters and story.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Oh, why did this not appear as a suggestion for me? I would have totally read it! Good job :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”