Is Harry Potter nostalgia dependent?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Is Harry Potter nostalgia dependent?

Post by Nym182 »

As much as I enjoy reading YA, I could not get into Harry Potter as much as everyone else... I read the first 4 books in elementary/middle school but then picked up a severe Stephen King addiction. After reading about The Losers Club and the good citizens of Boulder City facing off Rick Flagg and his horde, Harry's school's problem seem to loose some of its excitement for me.

I finally read the HP series all the way through a few years ago and just didn't get into it... I wouldn't say it was bad or anything, but I developed a theory that a big part of it's appeal is nostalgia (which I am a creature of haha)

Has anyone else read the series for the first time as an adult? Do you think that affected your feelings on it?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I read the first few books in the series for the first time as an adult. I haven't read all the books. But for me, that is probably because the books all came out when I was already an adult.
I don't think HP is nostalgia dependent, because I do think new readers who are of the right age for the books will always relate.
And for adults, at least in the US, pretty much none of us have the experience of going off to school, so there's nothing about the books that will inspire nostalgia.
I think you simply aren't the right target audience for the books. That's okay. I own all the movies. I've read some of the books, but have no deep desire to finish them.

And yeah, if Stephen King is what appeals to you most, then Harry Potter isn't likely to be your favorite. That's okay. But it's also okay for Harry Potter to be the favorite of someone else, and have nothing to do with nostalgia.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Interesting! I didn't really think about the fact that there is a cultural difference regarding the school! That's a very good point.

I was always a little bummed I didn't enjoy it as much as I have other YA series/books, or as much as others have... I'm still trying to find the time to watch all the movies.. I've seen bits and pieces of it, but assumed that i wouldn't like them since I didn't love the books... but maybe i'll give them another shot.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Keema-fay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Keema-fay »

While I haven't read the books again as an adult, I still firmly believe the Harry Potter series is a quality and respectable novel. While much of its appeal today may be from nostalgia, it doesn't replace the fact that J.K. Rowling created an intricately detailed and intensely immersive utopia.

In response to your feelings toward it today, I imagine it has more to do with your taste and interest in different genres. You said you fell into Stephen King novels when I am not a fan of them at all. At the same time I have great respect for his work and storytelling abilities.

To answer your question shortly, Harry Potter is a great and respectable series without nostalgia. However, I'm sure there are a few individuals in the world that play into their nostalgia more when they turn on The Philosophers Stone.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I mostly agree with the others that it might be more a question of taste than nostalgia, though I wouldn't say it's a hard and fast rule that if you're into Stephen King you won't be into Harry Potter.

I'd more say it's a matter of genre itself. Like, do you tend to read escapist fantasy? Or do you prefer books that are more realistically grounded?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

I read the Harry Potter series as an adult because I was wary of the hype about the series when I was a kid. I was worried about not liking it because so many people clamored about it. Finally, I overcame my insane doubts and read. I will not say I am a potter head but I haven't regretted reading it. I understand why people love HP.
Shwetaksh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Shwetaksh »

I read the series as an adult after a very long time since the release of the last movie. I was just amazed seeing that there were absolutely no loopholes in the written version. In fact my understanding of the Potterverse was increased at all points. The attention to the details and other stuff, not missing out any points. It was a little nostalgic though and the points which differ in the movies and the books were disappointing though. Overall I don't regret reading it after watching the whole series.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 15:07 I mostly agree with the others that it might be more a question of taste than nostalgia, though I wouldn't say it's a hard and fast rule that if you're into Stephen King you won't be into Harry Potter.
I agree - Harry Potter is a book set in a school about a magical world. It wasn't written for the same audience as a King book.
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Deepa09k »

I think the series that you first read and loved will impact all your subsequent reads. For me, I read and loved Harry Potter first and so Stephen King did not appeal to me with same enthusiasm.
And any other series I read of magic and YA, my mind subconsciously compares to Potterverse!! So I don't think it's an appeal to nostalgia.
unpocoraro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unpocoraro.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by unpocoraro »

I don't think it's nostalgia dependent because I have other childhood favorites that are just not as rereadable for me. The Harry Potter world is so rich and whimsical, detailed and extensive, that it doesn't get boring to reread. I think not liking it as a matter of taste, because I personally never got into Stephen King and probably never will, even though he has hundreds of thousands of fans, if not millions.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

For me personally, I grew up with Harry Potter and one of my favourite things is going back to the world I loved as a young adult. But I don't think if you hadn't read the books as a child they would be any less interesting. The story is fantastic - it's a magical world that's beautifully crafted, the characters are fantastic and the plot is exciting. What else could you want from a fantasy book?
Jessicalaurenw1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicalaurenw1.html
Latest Review: Irma's Daughters by Jennie Linnane

Post by Jessicalaurenw1 »

I read the first two books for the first time as a senior in high school. I had to write a paper on them for my final project and then finished out the series as an adult. I was an absolute fan from the first book all the way through. I do not think that they are nostalgia dependent. I think the stories are popular simply because they are good stories.
Sarah10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah10 »

I don't think it's nostalgia dependent at all. It deals with timeless issues, and children and adults alike love the series. Some people say Rowling is a pretty average writer, but she's a fantastic story teller. I read the first half of the series as a kid, and the second half as an adult (with quite a few years in between), and I loved it! This has not been my experience with other books at all. I think everyone just has different tastes, and you just happen to not be a big fan of HP :P
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

I'm almost an adult and recently started reading the books. I feel amazing reading them! I get this magical nostalgic feeling reminding me of the first time I saw the movies four years ago. I was pretty old when I saw the movies as well, but even then I felt like a child. I don't think it's nostalgia that makes it so good, it's because the book is wonderful and I can't wait to read them all!
Nadine1357
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine1357.html
Latest Review: The Necessity of Finance by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by Nadine1357 »

I did not read these books as a child, we used to have reading time in class and when harry potter and the half blood prince came out my entire class but me was reading it, and telling me stiff like omg Sirius does, me watching the films had no clue who this was at all. I read the book around time of the 6th film and all the book had been releases and I loved them. I don't no it it was nostalgia or not bit I was instantly hooked even tho seeing the films and had read them all in a few weeks. I'm actually currently relistsning to them on audible which is probably due to nostalgia but I honestly prefer the books to the film. I mean the films are amazing the books just have so much more. My problem now is watching at the film and expecting something to happen that was in the book and then realising.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”