Official Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Supergirl1 » 29 Jul 2019, 15:27

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unhinged" by Steve Galley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For as long as he could remember, Eddie has had an ongoing battle with the “Hunter.” That’s the name he’s given to the voice of despair and depression constantly whispering disparaging words and soul-crushing comments in his mind. On the outside, Eddie seems to have it all together; athletic, loved by girls, adored by his younger brother Trent, bad at math, supportive circle of friends, and even gets to date his crush. But sometimes, the brightest smiles hide the greatest pain. On the inside, the “Monster inside his head” is tearing him apart at the seams.

Unhinged is a story with a mental health awareness theme that I am convinced will resonate with teens and young adults. Like many people, young and old, Eddie tries to battle his demons on his own. Multiple real-life experiences have proven time and again that depression and anxiety are serious health problems. The author, Steve Galley, highlights the fact that seeking professional help for mental health issues is very important. Just as one cannot wish away physical illness, mental illness also cannot be ignored into oblivion. Having a support system is essential too. Various fun activities with his friends provided Eddie with a few cherished moments of escape.

The setting is in modern-day Canada, and the main characters are teenage high-schoolers. The author’s descriptions of the places and people are very realistic and relatable. Dysfunctional families, teens struggling to fit in with their peers, struggling to get good grades despite so many personal and home issues, making mistakes and feeling overwhelmed by them, the list goes on. Plus, I loved the ending.

Perhaps what I loved the most about this book was the fact that I could reconcile most of the issues the characters faced with issues both myself and the people around me face. From Eddie’s friend Jess and her problems with her no-good boyfriend Jimmy, to Rob, who Eddie looks up to, but who has problems of his own too. I also appreciated the celebration of friendships. Eddie’s best support system were his friends and girlfriend. It’s a refreshing opposite to the tired old narrative of bad friends leading the protagonist down the path of ruin.

There is some very mild swearing in this book, and very few grammar errors. However, I still think it deserves all 4 out of 4 stars, and that’s my rating. Lest I forget, did I mention teenagers and young adults?

*Publisher's Note: Based on this review, the book was edited to remove the swears.
Unhinged
View: on Bookshelves

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 01 Aug 2019, 05:57

Mental illness is rarely given the attention it deserves. Most persons think the sufferers are making it up because they seem fine on the outside. I'm glad Eddie found solace in his tribe of friends. Thanks for your review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 01 Aug 2019, 08:28

Wow! I love that there is a name to this "alter ego" of depression. This sounds like it could be quite powerful and useful as so many go through what Eddie went through. This would be especially great for young adults who sometimes don't feel like they can trust their parents or teachers. Thanks so much! Great book.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by esp1975 » 01 Aug 2019, 10:37

I think it's great that there are books out there aimed at teenagers and young adults that address mental illness and the need to get help for it. So many teens think it's only them, that people will think they are weird, that no one can help. Books that let them see they are not alone are some of the most powerful out there. I am glad this book exists and that it was done so well.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 01 Aug 2019, 19:57

The author has a creative way of talking about a sensitive subject. I like the different ways that the book suggests to help combat depression and anxiety. Your enthusiasm for the book is making me want to read this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by maggi3 » 01 Aug 2019, 20:23

It’s hard to find an accurate depiction of
mental illness that isn’t glorified or romanticized. I’m glad the author was able to make such a relatable story that might help people who are dealing with depression or anxiety. I’ll have to read this one. Thanks for the review!

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by AntonelaMaria » 02 Aug 2019, 06:00

I think this is a great and important book. I agree that authors often use friends as antagonist making them bad, I'm glad this book celebrates friendship. Excellent review.

p.s. I love your profile pic

RoxieReads
2019 Reading Goal: 5
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by RoxieReads » 03 Aug 2019, 08:35

This sounds like a book that young adults need to read. When talking about mental illnesses in books, it is important that they demonstrate things like support systems, which it sounds like this book does well.
~Roxie~

Intuitive Catalyst
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Intuitive Catalyst » 09 Aug 2019, 14:21

A book I can relate to from personal experience. Your review accurately depicts the experiences from a young adult's point of view. The author has obviously done a good job going by your enthusiasm. Thanks

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”