For The Hunger Games series fans - Gale or Peeta?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_GillianMichelle_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Re: For The Hunger Games series fans - Gale or Peeta?

Post by _GillianMichelle_ »

Definitely Peeta. Katniss was around Gale longer, but her and Peeta have more chemistry. :)
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I think Katniss had more in common with Peeta. They had shared trauma. Only Peeta could understand what she was going through. He also had sacrificed a lot more for her than Gale did. I don't think these should be standards in real life couples but since it is a fictional book I'd want for her to fall for the guy who had done more for her.
streetsolo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-streetsolo.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by streetsolo »

I honestly think that Katniss should have ended up on her own because while she loved both Gale and Peeta, neither of them were really the right "fit" for her. I think that Gale represented her old life that really shaped her identity, and so she loved Gale because she loved that part of herself and she was afraid to let it go. I think Peeta was a bit more of an uncertain pick because he was so different from anything that she had known before, but I think that she seriously did care for him and over time I think she did love him. Overall, though, I think she did trust Peeta more than she trusted Gale, just because of their time in the Games.
"Your progress flows from where your focus goes."
-Sydney Cummings
payt0n_spencer

Post by payt0n_spencer »

I too have read this series too many time to count. Even before watching the movies, I loved Gale and know Katniss does too. Peeta and Katniss went through way too much together, which is why Katniss probably felt obligated to be with him. However, Gale is just the all around great guy and has the same roots that Katniss does. I do not dislike Peeta for any reason I just do not buy that he is Katniss' soulmate. I think that Peeta and Katniss will always have a special bond and friendship because of the Hunger Games; although, close opposite sex friends aren't always "in love." Sometimes it really is just a friendship. Gale is who Katniss really loves and she'll discover that.
Jake7410
Currently Reading:

Post by Jake7410 »

god that's hard. i think Peeta was overall a better person, but I think that she loved Gale more, so I'm with Gale.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I'm currently rereading the series (again) and previously I've liked both of them equally but slightly preferred Peeta. But this time around I prefer Peeta much, much more
MaliLLY+33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by MaliLLY+33 »

I think katniss liked gale and loved peeta and her love for peeta grew even more because of hardships they went through together
Arwen1025
Currently Reading: The Empress: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Arwen1025 »

Is think that in the beginning of the novels she had a would have loved Gale and stayed with him. However, the reaping changed everything. When she volunteered to save her sister, her former experiences and perceptions of the world drastically changed. After experiencing something as brutal as the Hunger Games, there was no other choice but Peeta. Gale would no longer understand the trauma that the games caused. She probably would never stop loving Gale, but Peeta she loved more because of the traumatic events they experienced together.
BrutallyHonest2020

Post by BrutallyHonest2020 »

So in the beginning I was definitely rooting for Gale, but you have to understand that Peeta was with her through the reaping and a brutal "kill or get killed" situation, not once or twice, but three times. They even planned a fake marriage for the sake of the districts and to fool Snow. Even when Peeta was brainwashed Katniss didn't give up on him. She did everything she could do to make things right in the end. She fought for every district with knowing the ultimate price if it didn't go her way. Gale was hardly no where to be found by her side during all of this.
gab_variable
Currently Reading: Shifting Sands
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gab-variable.html
Latest Review: Valoria by Tayma Tameem

Post by gab_variable »

I think Peeta is a healthier love for Katniss. Sure, she cared for both Peeta and Gale, but ultimately it was with Peeta's gentleness that she was finally able to heal.
AshaCorbin1

Post by AshaCorbin1 »

In the first book, the relationship that Gale and Katniss shares was one that made me so sure they would be together in the end. The chemistry seemed to be there to me, But then, Katniss was thrown into the arena and Peeta was there. They went through so much together and it is easy to form a bond through shared trauma and there was plenty of that for both of them. Also, their way of surviving was to make the whole world believe they were madly in love with each other to the point of dying together. Not to mention Peeta was already in love with her. Katniss also went through a lot saving Peeta’s life constantly throughout the series. First out of obligation and then because she began to care for him. It only makes sense that they ended up together.

Of course, if things would have happened differently, Gale would not have been a bad match either. He was prepared to take care of her family for her while she was in the arena even though he had his hands full already with his own family to take care of. Although, later on down the road I noticed an impatience in him toward Katniss that was nothing like the gentle nature of Peeta.
clarygilbert20
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by clarygilbert20 »

Katniss went through a lot with both Gale and Peeta growing up or through the games. But going through something like The Hunger Games, twice, created a bond between her and Peeta. I think that she loved Gale but just didn't have the same connection with him
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think she definitely loved Gale to begin with, but as the books when on, she turned more towards Peeta, and quite honestly the jealousy did not look good on Gale. Plus he killed her sister, even if it was accidental. She was clearly sad to say goodbye to him, she obviously struggled, but I don't think she could forgive him for that. So yeah, I think I prefer, and Katniss loves, Peeta.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Hzrachel
Favorite Book: Shield Down
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hzrachel.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Hzrachel »

I think she loved Peeta more. She never realised it earlier but, we can see it through her actions. For instance, when Peeta returned from Capitol and didn't recognize her, she literally lost her will to live. Basically she never had time to sort out her feelings because of the chaos around her. So she never understood it till the end. And personally Peeta is my favorite. He is just so nice and kind.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Casiewalsh33

Post by Casiewalsh33 »

I think that for all of Katniss like Gale was someone who represented safety. Allowing herself to love Gale anything more than that wasn't what Katniss wanted. Peeta represented a new idea of hope, a new meaning of safety, and a new meaning of love. Katniss loved them both, but Peeta was her great love.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”