Official Review: The Wigwams in My Backyard by Rick Will

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Include the name of the book, and if possible the author's name, in the title of the topic. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
desantismt_17
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 176
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Time Changes Everything by Jane Craig Sebok

Official Review: The Wigwams in My Backyard by Rick Will

Post by desantismt_17 » 05 Apr 2019, 11:08

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wigwams in My Backyard" by Rick Will.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s Friday night. You’ve just plopped down into a lawn chair to gaze at the lake off the back of your house and sip your favorite drink while you wait for dinner to be ready. This is exactly how Matt was planning to spend this rare night off from his two jobs.

However, history had other plans. When Matt is bitten by a black fly, he slips into unconsciousness. Upon waking, he’s aware something is very different, but it’s not until a man dressed in Native American garb enters Matt’s wigwam that he figures out what. Wandering outside, Matt’s greeted with the familiar water scene from his backyard, but aside from this and the clothes he’s wearing, nothing else is the same. He’s been transported back in time. How did he get here? More importantly, how will he get home, and what will befall him in the meantime?

The Wigwams in My Backyard by Rick Will is a fascinating glimpse into what life was like for Native Americans in the northeast United States. Will is an archaeologist, and his expertise shows. All aspects of this tribal community are described in brilliant detail. From the exact processes of making tools to a sweat lodge ceremony, this book offers so much interesting information.

Matt is an excellent lens through which to observe this slice of history. He has a little information from school, which Will uses to explain things to the reader. At the same time, the daily lives of the Native Americans add to Matt’s knowledge base and give him a new perspective on just how much effort went into everything these people did. I really felt like I was along for this ride. Watching history unfold on such a personal level was amazing. History books talk about the overall sense of a culture or event. With this book, Will has created a personal experience I won’t soon forget.

As much as I enjoyed this, there were some moments of disconnect. If Matt’s exact age was given, I must have missed it, but he has to be at least sixteen. However, for most of the book, I thought of him as around fourteen. Whenever a reference to him being in high school or having a girlfriend would come up, it would pull me out of the story while I recalled how old Matt was. A lot of his thought processes also don’t feel quite sixteen. For me, the story would have flowed better if Matt were a bit younger. There were also many scenes with a lot of description. For a story like this, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but some paragraphs within those scenes were full of measurements or other minute details. I felt bogged down with those types of things. Similarly, the story came to a stand-still at points. When Matt first realized he was in the past, there were pages dedicated to him giving names to everyone he saw in the camp and then explaining why he assigned each name. This kind of thing slowed things way down and made me anxious to get back into the fascinating story.

I did notice a handful of errors, mostly missing words. For this, the places of confusion, and the slow spots, I rate The Wigwams in My Backyard 3 out of 4 stars. The amazing amount of information and the wonderful glimpse of real-life activity brings my rating up from 2. I recommend this book to middle-school-aged readers who love history. Adults wanting a wealth of information packed into narrative form might also enjoy this. I will caution those with weak stomachs to go into this prepared. There is a pretty detailed description of a deer being gutted. I wouldn’t suggest skipping the entire book, but just be aware. Otherwise, I encourage everyone to give this a try. There’s a lot to learn.

The Wigwams in My Backyard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 09 Apr 2019, 06:26

This sounds like a fascinating book. I am glad to hear that this time-traveling historical fiction piece is written by an archaeologist. I can see how this could add a sense of depth and reality to the flashback. Thanks for an awesome review!

diana lowery
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 09 Apr 2019, 07:07

I enjoyed your review. You have given a fair analysis of the pros and cons of the book. I also liked that you included a warning about the deer gutting scenes. The tone of your voice is very friendly which is hard to achieve when trying to be factual.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Apr 2019, 07:48

I like the thoughts of this story. I think we could all use more information about the Native Americans and how they lived. It does sound like the author could have tweaked a few things to make this a really great story, though. I don't think it's one I'd enjoy, so I'll skip it. Thanks for the information, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by DogoMulla » 09 Apr 2019, 14:42

Well, from your description above this one seems like a 50-50 kind of read. Flow is quite important as it keeps you hooked somewhat, but this one looks like it doesn't. Thanks for such detailed review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 09 Apr 2019, 20:16

The time travel and the descriptions of the Native American culture are intriguing. Your comments about the age confusion and the writing style were helpful. Thanks for your review of this book.

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Janelle Juncos » 09 Apr 2019, 21:58

Very cool! Do you think that the book would appeal best to younger readers? I think authors without a sound editor sometimes get so caught up in describing the images in their heads that they relate far too many details and distract from the narrative. It seems like the book is worth a read anyway and I really appreciate your review.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: Crimson and Clover
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Smitty's Calling Card by B.R. Stateham

Post by Prisallen » 10 Apr 2019, 14:00

History about the Native Americans in an interesting book sounds fascinating. It's too bad about the errors, though. Thanks for your review!

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 14 Apr 2019, 22:33

Despite the main character's age confusion, the slow spots, and the handful of errors, it still seems like a book to read. Because Will is an archeologist, is probably what makes this book believable and realistic. Thanks for the candid review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 16 Apr 2019, 16:01

It's great that the author is an archaeologist and is able to inlcude so many accurate details. Given the sometimes slow pace, I'll add this book to my maybe list. Great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”