Review by allbooked+ -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Review by allbooked+ -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by allbooked+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid, the author delivers a journey into a magical world that I enjoyed immersing myself in. I watch sci-fi movies but have not read a lot of the books associated with them. This book has opened a door for me and shown me that I do enjoy reading as well as watching this genre.

The story begins with Will Cleary walking into his father’s library along with his pets – a wolf and a falcon! This was all the hook that I needed, how does one have a falcon and a wolf for a pet? I wanted to keep reading to find out! You learn quickly that Will and his twin sister disappeared 10 years prior and Will returned a week later – alone. Will’s parents have been driven mad with their despair over finding his twin sister, not providing much of a home life for any of them. Now 12 years old, Will thinks he has discovered how to find his sister and the adventure begins into an alternate world with warm snow blankets, waterfall curtains that are not wet, and danger around every corner.

What I liked most is that there is a unique twist on the typical parallel space-time continuum that is common in the sci-fi genre. These dual worlds, Sound and Echo, are connected and surviving in one relies on survival in the other. I found the premise of the story original and creative.

As an intriguing twist in the story, the author uses her own name for one of the characters in the story. This has an oddly validating affect, as though she is telling a story that she has witnessed and not just one that has been created in her mind!

This book is perfect for middle school and up that enjoy sci-fi adventure type books. The chapters are short but engaging and full of action, adventure and friendship. The vivid descriptions of the surroundings will engage even the most hesitant reader. What I liked least is that there are quite a few characters to follow and you need to keep them straight in terms of what they mean to the story. There are some parts that can be a bit morbid and death is common throughout, so that should be considered when referring this book to a reader.

I was so engrossed in the story that any editing errors were not noticed. There were a few sentences that I read twice because they did not flow but that was more of a style issue. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 for creative and original content.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like allbooked+'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

The world created sounds like it's outside the box. Thank you for the review.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm reading this one right now and it's amazing. I do agree that it's difficult to follow all the characters, though, particularly since some of them have shifting motivations and such. Up to the point where I'm at, it's still a bit confusing, though less so than when I'd begun.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This seems like an engaging book. Great review!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

Nisha Ward wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 17:45 I'm reading this one right now and it's amazing. I do agree that it's difficult to follow all the characters, though, particularly since some of them have shifting motivations and such. Up to the point where I'm at, it's still a bit confusing, though less so than when I'd begun.
It does clear up at the end! Thanks for reading my review.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

Dragonsend wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 17:30 The world created sounds like it's outside the box. Thank you for the review.
It is quite different from other time-space sci-fi that I have encountered! Refreshing. Thanks for reading my review!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

Delaney35 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 18:55 This seems like an engaging book. Great review!
Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”