Review by madiharley -- Rowan Wood Legends

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
madiharley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madiharley.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Review by madiharley -- Rowan Wood Legends

Post by madiharley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rowan Wood Legends" by Olivia Wildenstein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein is my new favorite book, no competition. The second book in a series, it tells the story of Catori Price, a descendant of both faerie-hunters and faeries, an abomination to both groups. She must navigate the new world she has discovered and learn how to protect herself and the people she loves from harm. Both sides are willing to fight for what they need and are uncaring of the consequences. Cat chooses to stay human in the first book but it is hinted that she will have to choose. I enjoyed this book because of the mix of different folklore/religion, the interesting and dynamic characters, and finally the intriguing storyline. I give Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein a 4 out of 4 stars.

The original faerie-hunters were a tribe of Native Americans and their religion and culture reflect that. There is frequent use of Gwotta, their language, words. I found it very relatable how the main human characters are confused and mispronounce the words often, but Cat soon learns to understand the language. I really enjoyed learning more about the hunter's original culture and folklore, including their belief in a "Great Spirit", who the faeries continually ridicule.

The characters are some of my favorite in any book I've read in a long time. I found Catori to be a relatable, fun, and understanding character. Just because I wouldn't be as kind or forgiving as she is doesn't mean I don't admire her. She is written like a true person. Ace and Cruz are continually arrogant and frustrating but definitely attractive to the reader, Ace in particular. As we continue reading, we learn a little more about Ace's backstory, giving him more redeeming qualities. Cass and Cat's father are both oblivious, solely because Cat keeps them in the dark, but gentle.

The storyline is more intriguing and compelling than most YA books I've read in the past. Catori struggles with the two sides of himself, all while regretting that she was pulled into this fight in the first place. Ultimately, she is driven by the need and desire to protect the people she loves, very rarely does she act out of selfishness. Fast and strong action is prevalent, as is a real danger, throughout the whole story. The dialogue is genuine and relatable. Although there is plenty of magic, there is an abundance of normality in Catori's life, including drama and family issues.

Overall, I absolutely love Rowan Wood Legends. I think it's the perfect blend of magic and normalcy, romance and action, and good and evil. My favorite part may be that the difference between good and evil is not as clear as it may seem. I would recommend this book for teens, especially ones who love fantasy and mythology. Again, I give Rowan Wood Legends 4 out of 4 stars.

Rowan Wood Legends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like madiharley's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”