Official Review: Gloria's Life Purpose by Sameer Zahr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Gloria's Life Purpose by Sameer Zahr

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gloria's Life Purpose" by Sameer Zahr.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gloria Camino has always been different. In high school, she focused on her studies and had no time for trivialities or young romance. In her valedictory address, she exhorted her fellow graduates to dream big and to think positively. She went on to attend university at NYU. While waiting for her driver at the university gate one day, Gloria was abducted. The mastermind was a spurned suitor from high school. She was freed immediately as her wealthy and influential father was friends with the police chief and even hired a posse of private detectives to track her abductors. While in captivity, Gloria realized that she had a higher calling: “to serve humanity and teach fellow citizens how to live a better life, one that is full of peace and joy.” She wanted to be a nun.

It is clear that the author of Gloria’s Life Purpose, Sameer Zahr, is a spiritual (though not necessarily religious) person. The book has many parts where Gloria and her family and friends discuss traditional religion and modern spirituality. Her family members share their personal testimonies of how they found the right path. They are grateful to Gloria for showing them the way through her example. I like the solid relationships among the family members; this is every household’s dream.

Many conversations center on the law of attraction (also called the law of vibration) popularized in spiritual literature like The Secret. The author has some characters expounding on how traditional religion is stagnant; this has caused churches to lose their members to New Age alternatives. Those who are into these contemporary spiritual practices will find the book agreeable.

The book is advertised as a young-adult read. While Gloria is definitely a sterling example of an ideal young person (the story begins when she is 19 and ends when she is 25), I find her story much too perfect to be relatable to the majority of today’s youth. The major challenge that besieged her was the kidnapping which was resolved quickly and left her with nary a scratch. Barely 19, Gloria did major philanthropic work helping pregnant and abused teenage girls. Financial aid and logistics support were readily available from her father and their generous family friends. Any villains that entered the picture seemed halfhearted and were easily vanquished, thanks to Gloria's overwhelming confidence. Unless born with the proverbial silver spoon or lacking the inherent diffidence of youth, the young reader may be in for some serious eye-rolling.

The many long discourses among the characters also border on the unrealistic. They seem more suited for a discussion in a theology classroom, or a school-sponsored debate.

There are some romantic relationships featured in the book, and these are all chaste and pure. I have no issue with prudence, but I feel that it is taken to the extreme in the book. This is another factor that may turn off the typical young adult.

The book was generally easy to read as the author used simple vocabulary even for the “spiritual stuff.” However, grammar issues had me rereading several sentences. Careful editing is needed to rid the text of unnecessary words, wrong punctuation, and misnamed characters.

This book may be good for young adults who are part of a church ministry and those with a calling for a religious vocation. Fans of The Secret and the Abraham-Hicks phenomenon and students of quantum physics may also find it to their liking. However, the grammatical errors, the drawn-out conversations, and the utopian story make me take two stars away. I give the book 2 out of 4 stars.

Gloria's Life Purpose
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Sounds like the author tried to merge two books into one and didn't really succeed. While I do like the idea, I don't think this is for me.
Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Crazyreader01 wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 07:13 Sounds like the author tried to merge two books into one and didn't really succeed. While I do like the idea, I don't think this is for me.
Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
Thanks for your comment. The author dreams of an ideal world. Don't we all?
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Positive message from the author..Hails!
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

IamShing wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 09:51 Positive message from the author..Hails!
Very positive indeed. Thanks for visiting!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Wonderful review, but not my cup of tea. I'll skip this one.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 14:20 Wonderful review, but not my cup of tea. I'll skip this one.
Thanks for the wonderful words.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am glad you point out the obvious issue with average teens having the ability to relate to someone who, outside of a traumatic abduction, did not have much financial struggle in life. Additionally, not everyone has access to a group of emotional supporters either. I do believe this book will resonate with some readers, but I agree with you. This book will not be material the majority can relate to.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Jessacardinal wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 22:19 I am glad you point out the obvious issue with average teens having the ability to relate to someone who, outside of a traumatic abduction, did not have much financial struggle in life. Additionally, not everyone has access to a group of emotional supporters either. I do believe this book will resonate with some readers, but I agree with you. This book will not be material the majority can relate to.
Thanks for sharing your dollar (two cents aren't worth the same these days). The abduction happens right at the beginning; I feel it was included only as a way for Gloria to have time for reflection. That's the abduction's purpose.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree; I just don't think that young people would be able to relate to the author. I admire her for her spirituality and knowing what she wanted to do. Not everyone is like that at that age. I could see adults getting more out of this book, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 08:12 I agree; I just don't think that young people would be able to relate to the author. I admire her for her spirituality and knowing what she wanted to do. Not everyone is like that at that age. I could see adults getting more out of this book, though. Thanks for the review.
I believe the author hopes to influence the young to walk the straight and narrow early in life.

Thanks for your input.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

I dislike 'eye rolling' while reading my books, not to mention 'serious eye rolling.' Thanks for an honest review.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ayomie wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 09:58 I dislike 'eye rolling' while reading my books, not to mention 'serious eye rolling.' Thanks for an honest review.
Well, my eyes needed the exercise. :roll: Thanks for reading and commenting.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

You sum up the pros and cons excellently. From what you say, the kidnapping and villains were indeed too half-hearted to be life-changing. Though this can also make for cliches, it probably is in fact true that we develop character and compassion through tough experiences. Thanks for another thoughtful and honest review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 04:44 You sum up the pros and cons excellently. From what you say, the kidnapping and villains were indeed too half-hearted to be life-changing. Though this can also make for cliches, it probably is in fact true that we develop character and compassion through tough experiences. Thanks for another thoughtful and honest review.
Thanks for sharing your insights, Alice! They are always profound. I agree that tough times toughen. I'm callused all over.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”