Official Review: The Relik by Nathan J. Keller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: The Relik by Nathan J. Keller

Post by Kareka88 »

I'm very intrigued by the fact that this is a book for young adults. I like the idea of a dystopian novel with a twist. The religious aspect has me questioning the readability factor. I, like you would have like to have more details regarding the new religious system. I may just give it a chance. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I've already downloaded it, I definitely want to read it. Your review makes it sound like an amazing adventure! Hearing that it's well written (language use) is a serious plus, but I'm sure I'll also be annoyed at not quite knowing what the beliefs are that cause the society to function as it does. That seems to be a major part of such a story.

YA books aren't my typical read anymore because my kids have grown up. I no longer need to see what they're being 'indoctrinated' with, it's up to them now! But our society continues according to the beliefs of the children. I certainly was affected greatly by what I read as a child and teen. Anyone who has a teen reading this, it would be great to hear their thoughts and reactions so please post those!
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Very nice book. Well-developed characters. The plot is full of surprises. Keeps the reader engaged in the story...
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I'm not that much into dystopian fiction but I think Jim's story is interesting. Great review!
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

Thank you for your review. I am intrigued by this book because this sounds like an amazing adventure that I would want to go on! I will be adding this to my ever growing reading list :techie-studyingbrown:
smc19
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 72

Post by smc19 »

What's it like to be frozen for 5,000 years and then put on display in a library for the edification of the general public (if, in fact, that's what the visitors are)? It is interesting to note that the author has carried the theme of the constant struggle within humanity (or whatever semblance of it is left at this point in time) that pits the opposing sides of the relative worth of a human life so many millennia into our future. Does this portend that the question will never be settled, regardless of the influence of academia, philosophers and the clergy? Good review.
Cperki0718
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Cperki0718 »

Although I don't typically read books with religion in it, this one seems to focus more on the story line of the characters instead of the religion itself. Plus with it being dystopian fiction, it sounds like it will be a very interesting read.
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

It is such an appealing review. It gives out much info about the book in a few paragraphs. Thanks for the review
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

The question of human value raised in the book is one I have had answered for a long time now, and other people's attempts at challenging these ideas have been farcical. Still, I'll read this book before I discredit it.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Judging from the review this book will be a good escape into the sci-fi world. Plus, I do agree that it will be a nice change of pace without the parent or love entanglement aspects being part of the storyline. I am going to as The Relik to my list of book that I am interested in reading.
Chelsea N. Hackett
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Nothing beats a good story with a twist especially when it carves a different path from others in it's genre. From the review it seems this novel though YA dystopian charts a different course from the generality of that genre in that no romance or the other usual tension builders. Apparently a corrupted religion/society are the replacement themes. With a well developed plot and characters again as stated in the review, Relik might just be a very good read. A good review and Congrats to the author on #BOTD
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I downloaded a free copy of this book unaware that it's as exciting as the OBC review makes it out to be. Not only do I want to know how a dystopian world looks 5000 years from now, but I also want to see how the relics cope in the new world.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

"A world that has been redefined by a new religious system" - that actually made me imagine what kind of world it must be. I'm intrigued by how the main characters were resurrected. How did they become chosen as Relikwas anyway? I guessI'll have to read the book to find out. Thank you for your review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I think it's interesting how much life has changed in the 5k years since Jim was frozen. To think the future population doesn't value life-and does value death- is a complicated twist. I wonder what new information Jim is privy to? Thanks for the great review.
Znb
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-znb.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Znb »

Although I tend to quite like the romance aspect of dystopian novels, this does seem quite interesting and looks worth reading. I'd love to see exactly how religion is incorporated, and whether it might actually have parallels with society today

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”