Official Review: Sage Stone - The Magic Between the Worlds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Sage Stone - The Magic Between the Worlds

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sage Stone - The Magic Between the Worlds" by Darcy Deming.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sage Stone – The Magic Between the Worlds by Darcy Deming is a coming of age story filled with action, adventure, and magic. Written in the third person perspective, the story is told from different perspectives.

Sage and his twin sister, Hanah, are special due to their ability to wield powers that normally only shamans of their tribe can control. When Sage gets hit by lightning, his whole world changes. His grandfather is able to heal him, but Sage hears and sees things, like his spirit guides, that he was unable to do before he got hit by lighting. As Sage and Hanah continue on their journey of light, dark forces threaten to overcome them. While Sage searches for his father’s manuscripts, his Uncle Malakai will do anything to get his hands on the manuscripts first. Will Sage be able to find his father’s manuscripts, or will Malakai succeed in his mission to get revenge?

The creation of a mystical world filled with talking animals, spirits, and magic as well as aspects of Native American myths made this book stand out from any other book that I have ever read. I like how the author added detailed accounts of the rituals and customs of the Tachi nation since it made Sage’s world more believable. On the other hand, I found the plot to be slow moving and the writing style to be simple.

Despite the slow-moving storyline, I found the characterization of the characters to be well-developed. Although Sage and Hanah are twins, their personalities differed greatly, but where one twin was lacking, the other made up for it. Their grandfather, Jack, and mom, Willow, were also very supportive of the twins and guided them through whatever difficulties they faced.

Since this is the first book of a series, the ending left some questions unanswered, but it didn't end in a cliffhanger. I also didn’t notice any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. This book is listed under the young adult genre, but I think it should be listed as a children’s book.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the slow-moving storyline and simple writing style, this book wasn’t what it was advertised to be. I was expecting a young adult novel but got a children’s book instead. Other than that, I found the characters to be well-rounded and the descriptions easy to visualize. I would recommend this book to readers from between the ages of 9 to 15 years old.

Sage Stone - The Magic Between the Worlds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Seems like a disappointing book from the point of view of eind advertised as a YA novel only to find it is a children's book. I like the touch of native spiritual customs though. Thanks for the review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really don't enjoy slow-moving storylines, so I don't think this is my cup of tea. However, I appreciate your honest review!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

That's definitely disappointing that it was falsely advertised, but sounds like potentially a good gift for my youngest sister! I do like that it touches on Native American myths. There are so many great myths and creation stories that just don't get told or shoved away. I'm glad that children's fiction is picking up on it more. I know I would've eaten books like this up when I was young and needed to do my summer reading!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

It is very disappointing when you don't get what was advertised in a book. However, it does sound like a good story. I think I would enjoy it - but only if I picked it up knowing that I was delving into a children's read.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe the trouble is in the definition of young adult. Some define the term as including young people from age 12; using this interpretation, the book is YA.

I still read children's books from time to time to de-stress. Sage and Hanah may be a pair to watch out for. I like the idea of boy-and-girl twins.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I think a simple writing on a YA fantasy adventure leaves too much to be desired. It's disappointing the book isn't as it promised to be. Great review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

I'm an adult but I enjoy reading children's book. Seems like a pretty good book. I don't mind slow storyline, and I'm relieved that it's not a fast-paced story. So I think this is perfect for me. Thank you for your review!
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Sometimes I can deal with slow moving stories, but I definitely wasn't expecting you to say 'children's book.' However, yay, for characters being well developed! 👏🏽👏🏽
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”