Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Young Adult Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: From The Sky by J. E.Nicassio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.

Re: Official Review: From The Sky by J. E.Nicassio

Post Number:#46 by Katherine Smith
» 13 Sep 2017, 13:07

I like your review and I like the mixing of genres in a book because it makes novels more interactive for the audience. I agree that the romance side of this novel is the stereotypical girl meets boy and they fall in love. I think that the author should have made Sam a stronger female lead because although grief does make you vulnerable, you can still take care of yourself. I like the idea of aliens and outer space because I am an astronomy fan.
Katherine Smith's Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Katherine Smith

Favorite Book: Nancy Drew
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 38 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 68%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#47 by MsTri
» 13 Sep 2017, 13:20

I gave up reading romance novels over 20 years ago, but I LOVE YA stories, not to mention SF,
so this one will go under my "To Read" list. I agree that it's unfortunate that the female protagonist is too weak and I hope there's no simpering, but I'm willing to overlook it if the story really is that good and it sounds to be.

Thanks for the thorough review and introduction to the book.
MsTri

Favorite Book: The Prodigal Son
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 109 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#48 by boringyanks
» 13 Sep 2017, 13:31

Books_are_Life wrote:[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From The Sky" by J. E.Nicassio.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by Books_are_Life
Share This Review

From the Sky by J. E.Nicassio

This is a sci-fi, romance novel for the young adult genre. The Sci-fi part of the book is focused around aliens from outer space. Romance in this book is the traditional young girl and a guy scenario. The main character is a young lady who is dealing with lots of grief and guilt. If you have lost anyone or have survival guilt you will connect with this character on a very deep level.

Samantha is struggling with the loss of both her mother and brother. She has been saved by a mysterious stranger from a car wreck where she lost her brother. Her mother died a year later in alleged accident but Sam believes it was suicide. Sam places the blame of their deaths on her shoulders. Because of this she is constantly taking pills and smoking as she tries to deal with this. Her father gets a new job in New Mexico causing her to move before the start of her senior year of high school. Within her first day she meat this incredible hot, strange guy named Lucien. She completely embarrasses herself but at the same time he creeps her out. Before too long an undeniable connection forms between these two. Lucien has secrets and as their connection begins to blossom his secrets puts Sam and him in danger. Will the two of them be able to survive his secrets and will their connections stay strong till the end?

I found this to be a wonderful book. The main issue I had with it was the transition between chapters was choppy. It would have been nice to have the chapters flow together better but it did not hamper the story at all. A small little grip about the character Sam is that she was a weak female lead I would have preferred her to be a stronger female character. Men do not need to save the day all the time she should take more of an active part in the action instead of just watching. The detail given in this book was perfect not too much, not too little, just right.

I rate this book to be 4 out of 4 stars. In reality this book is more of a 3.5. I rounded it up instead of down because of the amazing story telling of the author. I would also call this book to be a simple read. It is simple because the book just focuses on the main story there is truly no sub plots or anything. It is a nice in between heavy, complex reads.

Give the small issues I could not put this book down I finished it in a day. The pace of the book will keep you involved and moving forward in the story. I strongly recommend that everyone should read this book.

From The Sky
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Books_are_Life's review? Post a comment saying so!

From the Sky is at its core a teenage romance. We get a look at young love and what it means to love when everything seems is against you.
boringyanks's Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
boringyanks

Currently Reading: Indian Hill 3
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Post Number:#49 by Acwoolet
» 13 Sep 2017, 13:33

It seems like you really enjoyed it. I'll have to add it to my list. It's nice to have an easy read every now and then. Thanks for the great review!
Acwoolet

Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#50 by jaliper
» 13 Sep 2017, 13:37

Woah, looks like my kind of book! Sci-fi with romance and a quick read? Yep, it definitely is. Thanks for the amazing review
jaliper

Currently Reading: Piazza Carousel
Bookshelf Size: 73 books
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Post Number:#51 by Ellen Scherer
» 13 Sep 2017, 13:48

This review is okay... I think it would make more sense to commit to the score of 3.5 of 4 because there are grammar issues in the text. However, I do this would be a good read for young adults and adults who are dealing with depression and addiction. Science fiction is a good genre for discussions of such serious topics because it removes a little of the sting and can provide hope. I suggest everyone read this book. :techie-studyinggray:
Ellen Scherer's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Ellen Scherer

Currently Reading: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 36 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 6%

Post Number:#52 by Kalin Adi
» 13 Sep 2017, 13:49

When a person moves out, good and bad things might happen. It's like buying a lottery ticket, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It seems the main character in this story won the lottery. Too bad the transition between the chapters is rough. Anyways, I'll put this book in my 'to read' list. Thanks for the nice review!
Kalin Adi's Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Kalin Adi

Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 94 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 5 Books
Goal Completion: 860%

Post Number:#53 by Afuglsan
» 13 Sep 2017, 13:59

I'll have to read it. I'm curious to see where the sci fi comes in.
Afuglsan's Latest Review: "Crossing The Date Line" by John Sollo
Afuglsan

Currently Reading: Accidentally Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1548 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 67%

Post Number:#54 by mumoscar
» 13 Sep 2017, 14:07

This looks like a sci-fi surprise, I never imagined something would show up with humans romance vs. aliens. This is a great book. Nice review.
mumoscar's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
mumoscar

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#55 by moonshoes
» 13 Sep 2017, 14:19

Too bad about the small issues, but it still sounds like a fun read. Nice review!
moonshoes

Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#56 by Vickie Noel
» 13 Sep 2017, 14:22

I'm just in-between on sci fi and romance and though the book has a deep level connection, the storyline doesn't seem intriguing to me. Glad you enjoyed it though, despite its many flaws.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Vickie Noel

Favorite Book: Are you afraid of the dark
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 187 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 350%

Post Number:#57 by BunnySTx
» 13 Sep 2017, 14:25

Not really a fan of weak female characters. I just can't stand "damsels in distress." I really wish she was stronger and that the plot had more to it but I'm sure that many will enjoy. Thanks for the good review.
BunnySTx

Currently Reading: Shadow Rising
Bookshelf Size: 226 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 125 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Post Number:#58 by jimthorne2
» 13 Sep 2017, 14:30

Good book. Great Review. A strong plot is as good as a 'weak' character.
Jim Thorne
jimthorne2

Favorite Book: The Case for Christ
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 150 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Goal Completion: 103%

Post Number:#59 by Lennycat
» 13 Sep 2017, 14:33

Thanks for the great review. Sounds like a fun book for Young Adult Readers. Lucien is an interesting character. I'm curious to know what secrets he holds and how the young couple will stay ahead of trouble.
Lennycat's Latest Review: "Acts of Sedition" by Dennis Stephan
Lennycat

Currently Reading: Realm of Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 94 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 3 Books
Goal Completion: 433%

Post Number:#60 by Strangerthanfiction
» 13 Sep 2017, 14:34

Great review. I like that this is a sci-fi/romance. I haven't read much in this genre it's usually one or the other for me. It's unfortunate that the lead female is not a strong character though, I really prefer a strong female lead. Thanks for sharing.
Strangerthanfiction

Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 122 books

View Reviewer Page

PreviousNext