Review of The Mage Destinies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Mage Destinies

Post by Azuka Jessica »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mage Destinies" by Brett Galen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We have often seen in movies how tampering with the timeline distorts the timeline and poses consequent dangers to the individual.

After the usual uneventful creative writing class, Tessa Colvin feels a pain in her stomach. After that, she begins to feel funny and hear herself, except that it is a different person. Tessa freaks out, and this voice helps her get out of school and explains the situation to Tessa. The voice she was hearing was that of the future Tessa, who entered the body of the present Tessa just as she was about to die. In the future, Tessa’s brother kills them all, including himself, in an explosion that happened when he was fighting some Fayes. Now, the future Tessa was here to prevent that from happening. How does Tessa assimilate and react to this? Will future Tessa successfully prevent this misfortune? Read this book to find out.

I wondered where the daydreamer in the book’s title came from, but I understood and found out as I read on. Tessa was a daydreamer, and everyone at school knew this. I must say that I have so much in common with Tessa in terms of daydreaming. I love the relationship between Tessa and those around her. She had an incomplete but loving family that had each other’s back. Tessa and her best friend Megan started healthy practices of encouraging one another, which I admired. I also enjoyed the banter between Tessa and Petunia and Tessa and Ashley.

The Mage Destinies: Path of the Daydreamer by Brett Galen is a fiction novel that features the supernatural, magic, family, and combat. I was amazed at how the book and the arrangement of events became clear. It was well-planned.

What I didn’t like about the book was that there were a few loose ends. For example, the author did not reveal Megan’s identity. It remains a mystery. With the way the book ended, I don’t know if the author is planning a sequel. I also had some difficulties understanding the conversation initially, but I adjusted. However, these are not enough to deduct a star from this book’s rating. I only found a few errors while reading it, which shows that the book was professionally edited. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars for the positive reasons mentioned above.

I recommend this book to young adults and lovers of books about magic, superheroes, and villains. The book contained an average of violent, sexual, and profane scenes, as the author intended to appeal to a wide range of readers.

The Mage Destinies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I usually like stories about time travel. This one just has a strange plot, even for me. I’mm just not sure how Tessa should deal with or feel about hearing herself from the future.
khaled jabor
Favorite Book: Superhighway
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by khaled jabor »

even for me. I’mm just not sure how Tessa should deal with or feel about hearing herself from the future.
Gabriele Mattia Leonardo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriele-mattia-leonardo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Gabriele Mattia Leonardo »

The Mage Destinies: Path of the Daydreamer by Brett Galen is a story that tells you about different sides to time travel. I really enjoyed the book.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Wow... I'd like to witness how Tessa and the future Tessa handle this situation. I hope they thwart her brother's plan. I enjoyed reading this beautiful review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I like this; the concept of time travel. You know, people who daydream can only get by that way. I’ll love to read this. How was the Future Tessa able to help? Well-written review!
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

The summary of this review Is Interesting, I don't believe a future voice speaking in Tessa can ever be true irrespective of my belief in science but I enjoyed the review. I do intend to know how she plans to stop the incident that
caused her demise in the future.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Ash Subra
Favorite Book: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-subra.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ash Subra »

I really like this review. It's always a fun to read time travel concept book.
Gita Puspita
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gita Puspita »

It's unusual for someone from the future get into yourself but I love time travel story.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

Your review is well-written and engaging. I like every aspect of it and I must say the plot is captivating. I feel driven to read the book and check it out. Nice review!
Leila Boss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leila-boss.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Leila Boss »

I like the review. Makes me want to read it.
hutchbun
Currently Reading: Murder at Hazelmoor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hutchbun.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hutchbun »

I am endlessly frustrated by loose ends, but I think I'm going to give this book a read just because it sounds like such an original plot! The time travelling combined with magic and combat isn't something I've seen in a novel for a while, and the fact that you make the protagonist sound so relatable intrigues me.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Nice one. You really drew a suspense line at the end of your summary. Looking forward to reading this book. I want to know the full story about this Tessa. Thanks for your review on The Mage Destinies.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

One really need a careful reading to understand this book. As it has to do with time travel. I do enjoy this kind of book but the it's always a slow pace read for me. I enjoyed your review.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Your review had me fascinated by the incredulous nature of this story.
Hearing oneself is one thing, hearing a future self is another.
I would love to know how it ended with Tessy.
Thanks for the amazing review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”