Review of The Dual Path:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Review of The Dual Path:

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dual Path:" by AnnaMariah Nau.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zelia Maria Magdalena (Zemma) is not your average twelve-year-old. Rather than your typical ‘tween’ thoughts about boys and shopping, the goal weighing heavily on her heart is to answer two eternal questions. “Why am I here?” and “What is my purpose in life?” The summer she meets her Aunt Joy, Zemma feels total acceptance and love for the first time in her young life, and the possibility of answering those questions becomes real. Joy offers her niece the opportunity to learn to ‘live the world’ and thus regain her lost connection to the Earth and its creatures that has brought about self-doubt and deep feelings of ‘aloneness.’ With Zemma’s acceptance begins a madcap, whirlwind ride down the dual path of self-discovery and reconnection to the world around her.

Despite its category of YA fiction, The Dual Path: An Earth to Stars Adventure by AnnaMarriah Nau seemed to speak directly to my soul even as an adult. Reading the introduction gave me chills, and by the end of the first page, I was gleefully grinning, eager to take the offered journey down enchanted paths. Come, take a walk with me as we journey through a magical landscape with Zemma and her Aunt Joy. Together we will meet magical creatures, talking trees, and a host of other impossibly possible who’s and what’s as we gather around us a motley band of characters and become one with the Universe to defeat the dead-eyed Unmakers of joy and dreams.

The Dual Path is a philosophical treasure trove of deep questions and their possible answers cleverly disguised as a YA novel. The author has skillfully woven these concepts into an entertaining and (mostly) joyful adventure that takes place, quite literally, down a plethora of paths and roads, through small towns, and across the countryside. Her descriptions therein were amazingly vivid. “The silky fabric moved as she twirled, her enormous floating skirt curved in diagonal stripes of brilliant yellow, orange, and red, separated by tiny strips of bright green.”

There are many themes addressed within this book. The one that struck me hardest was the inescapable importance of perception. Specifically, the concept of how perception forms beliefs and how those beliefs then form our personal realities and truths was eye-opening. Other themes that were addressed included acceptance of self, the dangers of societally expected beauty, refusal to accept stereotypes, the value of living in the moment, and a rather ever-present theme of predestination vs. free will. At times, the author’s deep insights into simply ‘being,’ uttered often through casual conversation, gave me chills and even brought tears to my eyes at their raw truth.

I loved the author’s ability to weave such esoteric themes into a YA novel in an unabashedly amusing way. I cannot count the number of chuckles and outright laughs that this book gave me. Aunt Joy was as eccentric as they come as well as wonderfully mischievous. She kept both Zemma and me guessing throughout the entire book. This was largely because she seemed to have no concept of giving a straight answer. I think the humor and the book's more existential facets scored equally as my favorite parts of the novel. I had only one real problem with the book, but it was significant. Zemma often goes from being angry and hysterical to almost utter calm just because Joy tells her to relax, calm down, or sit and meditate. As anyone who has parented a tween will tell you, this isn’t believable behavior for a twelve-year-old, and it intensely and negatively affected my suspension of disbelief.

Given how much I enjoyed the book, I would happily give it full stars. Unfortunately, in addition to the above problem, I also found many grammatical errors. Thus, I am forced to rate it at only 3 out of 4 stars. There is no violence in the book and only the occasional borderline objectionable word. (Darn is as bad as it gets.) I would recommend the book for anyone who loves fantastical plots and appreciates being given something to ponder. However, I would also recommend that those who think about reading the book be open to beliefs from many different religions. Younger readers would probably get more from the book if it were read with an adult.

I wish I could go deeper into the book’s themes with you, but that would create many spoilers. Instead, I will leave you with this: open your eyes and appreciate everything in the world around you. Give thanks to those who have given you aid, whether they be human or a part of the natural world. And lastly, remember that a single spark can begin to drive away the darkness. Nurture your spark.

The Dual Path:
View: on Bookshelves
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This story is presented as a YA fantasy novel but it weaves together many philosophical and enigmatic elements in the plot. I think it's a good way to introduce young adult readers to these deep concepts. Additionally, the inclusion of these themes makes this book accessible to a wider audience.
I loved reading this review.
And the last paragraph of this review is wholesome.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

An interesting outlook on perception. I'd like to read this one, if not peruse it. Thank you for piquing my interest.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 23:07 This story is presented as a YA fantasy novel but it weaves together many philosophical and enigmatic elements in the plot. I think it's a good way to introduce young adult readers to these deep concepts. Additionally, the inclusion of these themes makes this book accessible to a wider audience.
I loved reading this review.
And the last paragraph of this review is wholesome.
I loved that the author wove in these themes with just the right balance of humor to keep the reader engaged yet still impart the more esoteric aspects. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I appreciate it!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 09:32 An interesting outlook on perception. I'd like to read this one, if not peruse it. Thank you for piquing my interest.
I thought so too. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did! I appreciate you dropping in and commenting!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

We all once in our life questions about our existence and purpose. I think so I'm gonna enjoy Aunt Joy mischiefs. I'm pretty excited to give this philosophical treasure a try. Thank you for your beautiful review.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

wow sounds like a fun read with moral lessons to learn from. Thanks for the charming review.
Omeri Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Omeri Jeremiah »

I'd like to read it as it has good moral lessons. Nice review
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I like reading your review, it has enticed me so much that I am now interested in reading this book. Thank you.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 13:30 We all once in our life questions about our existence and purpose. I think so I'm gonna enjoy Aunt Joy mischiefs. I'm pretty excited to give this philosophical treasure a try. Thank you for your beautiful review.
Mercy Osmond wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 15:48 wow sounds like a fun read with moral lessons to learn from. Thanks for the charming review.
Thank you for the lovely compliments. They are appreciated. The book is very fun, especially with Aunt Joy being in the mix. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks to you both for dropping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Omeri Jeremiah wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 02:47 I'd like to read it as it has good moral lessons. Nice review
There were, indeed, many valuable lessons in the book. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Mtibza eM wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 05:11 I like reading your review, it has enticed me so much that I am now interested in reading this book. Thank you.
I'm glad!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
ujjwalxpro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ujjwalxpro »

We all once in our life questions about our existence and purpose. I think so I'm gonna enjoy Aunt Joy mischiefs. I'm pretty excited to give this philosophical treasure a try. Thank you for your beautiful review.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

ujjwalxpro wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 07:18 We all once in our life questions about our existence and purpose. I think so I'm gonna enjoy Aunt Joy mischiefs. I'm pretty excited to give this philosophical treasure a try. Thank you for your beautiful review.
Although I deeply appreciate you stopping by and making the effort to comment, please do not copy/paste other reviewers' comments as your own. Thank you.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

The aunt-niece dynamics remind me of Maureen Johnson's Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes.
Sounds like the usual YA book I used to love reading.
Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”