Official Review: Maggie Vaults Over the Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Official Review: Maggie Vaults Over the Moon

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maggie Vaults Over the Moon" by Grant Overstake.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Even in today's modern world, women are not given as many options as men. This is true in the field of sports as well. Pole vaulting is considered to be a man's sport. Only recently, there have been female pole vaulters. However, they have to go through a lot. Olympic champion, Katerina Stefandi, is one such admirable woman who became an amazing pole vaulter against all odds. The foreward penned by her at the beginning of Grant Overstake's Maggie Vaults Over the Moon is truly inspiring.

Maggie Steele's life becomes adrift after she loses her brother, Alex, and her boyfriend, Caleb, in a terrible car crash. Being in her senior year in Grain Valley High, Maggie does not know what to do with her life, now that her brother and mentor, Alex, is no longer there to guide her. By fate, Maggie comes across pole vaulting.

Will Maggie succeed in pole vaulting? Will pole vaulting help turn her life around? Will Maggie be able to vault over the moon?

Grant Overstake's Maggie Vaults Over the Moon is a beautiful novel that can be a treat to all sports enthusiasts, especially pole vaulters. Maggie's training in pole vaulting is presented in a detailed manner. The tournaments are all portrayed realistically. It makes the reader feel like a part of the competitions. I believe that anyone reading this book would like to give pole vaulting a try. Also, the sportsman spirit depicted is commendable. The way Maggie interacts with her biggest competitor, Amanda McCurdy, is admirable.

My favorite part of the book was Maggie's special bond with Alex. The love between the siblings made me both cry and laugh. The author's writing prowess is praise-worthy. Maggie's mood swings are depicted in a vivid manner. Also, the way Alex's mother maintained his bedroom and wished him good night even after his death brought tears to my eyes. The author painted the picture of a grief-stricken family trying to cope with the loss of their only son in a heart-wrenching manner. The familial dynamics among Maggie, her mother, her father, and her grandma was shown in a relatable manner.

I have to mention that the questions posed by Dr. Melissa A. White at the end of each chapter were very thoughtful. They make the reader stop and think. I believe that this makes the book a perfect read for school-going children.

Everything was amazing about this book. The editing was great as well. YoungJu Kim beautifully illustrated the cover.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, Maggie Vaults Over the Moon is a perfect read. Hence, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Maggie Vaults Over the Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It is sad but true that nowadays women still face many more challenges than men do also in the world of sports. This sounds like an inspirational read. Thanks for the detailed review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a heartbreaking start. I hope Maggie begins to heal from her pole vaulting experience. Thanks for the insightful review!
Lalisa manobangs97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lalisa manobangs97 »

There really comes in life that gets so hard, and in that moment, you just need to stop, and breathe and look through things that will help you find your purpose. Maggie is indeed a strong woman.
Lila Ilak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-ilak.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Lila Ilak »

I came here because of the amazing cover and stayed for the wonderful review. Now I really wish to read this book.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the thread of enthusiasm that runs through the book. Thanks for the good review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I saw this book on other sites, and I wonder if I can review it, too.
Both the cover and the title look great!
Pole vault is not a common sport to be featured in a story, so I'm interested to know how it goes in the book.
Thanks for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Haileysara
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Haileysara »

Maggie vaults over the moon :- as compared to the old times with new alot have changed nowadays woman’s are givin rights, jobs ,power and alot of things they weren’t allowed before still need some laws and equality and alot of things that our society lacks Maggie being a determinent for her dreams fought for her goals lost loved ones but never gave up after having a lot of struggle and set back she stood up and worked hard for her dreams and aimed high sports is one of the top most filed with male dominance and it is everywhere at times also the pure emotion depicted beetween authors brother and author tells us more about how she is as a person pole vault is a unique sports and every sport need hard work this books exictes me to know more about Maggie .
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I think so, this book will be emotional rollercoaster ride for me as Alex and Maggie shared special bond with each other and later Alex will not be there for her. I'm not into the sports but I'll give this book a try. Thank you for your beautiful review.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

A book that not only supports women having an equal chance at something but if a women succeeding. This is a great book and an awesome review. This is a book I would have in my daycare library as it is very inspirational.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”