Official Review: Mix Bloods by Bobbie Gott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Official Review: Mix Bloods by Bobbie Gott

Post by Sydney Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mix Bloods" by Bobbie Gott.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mix Bloods by Bobbie Gott introduces Celestria, a Pureblood vampire who trains Mix Bloods -- newly bitten vampires -- for their night of transition, when they become a full vampire and get rid of their human side. On that night, where three of her students are transitioning, her father, the leader of the Covens, marries her off to one of the students, Killian, ending her time as a trainer and wreaking havoc on her life. Confused and angry, Celestria struggles to adjust to life with her new husband. But a series of events just might change how she feels about him, as Killian joins her in finding out there are many secrets that the Covens have been keeping, and these secrets won’t just change her life, but will destroy everything she knows.

I found this book to have a lot of potential. I really liked the plot as it wasn’t too fast-paced but also wasn’t slow either. It held my attention with so many different mysteries going on, but also it didn’t have so many that I got confused on where everyone was at. I found the plot to have great balance and intriguing events. I would have liked to see a little more character development, as I feel I barely had any time to figure out who these characters are. Characters developed in ways that had me confused due to some lack of exploration of underlying emotions. Some of the development felt a bit choppy, and it felt like I had missed some information from Point A to Point B. But, they were still interesting characters to read and I enjoyed reading their journey.

However, the writing could use some improvement. What I least liked about the book was the amount of grammatical errors with both punctuation and spelling, including spelling a character’s name wrong at one point. There was a lack of punctuation when it was needed, including both periods and commas, and sentences were not written clearly, sometimes with words missing, or the tense would switch from past to present and back, so it made the book a bit of a challenge to read since I had to rewrite the sentence in my head before continuing on. There were also capitals when there shouldn’t have been and vice versa, periods where there should’ve been commas, and missing letters at the end of some words.

Also, there was a sentence in this book that was very upsetting to read. It was, “She is rather O.C.D about her med space.” O.C.D. is a noun, not an adjective; you would not say a person is obsessive compulsive disorder about her med space. As someone who has been officially diagnosed with O.C.D., I found that sentence offensive and frustrating to read. It’s not the author not knowing what O.C.D. really is that makes me upset -- a lot of people still don’t know what it actually does -- it’s the fact that the author clearly didn’t do research before writing that sentence, despite writing a vampire book that she most likely had to do some research for. Many can say I shouldn’t be too serious about this, but when I was diagnosed, I had the same misconceptions, so I didn’t really know what was going on and my mental health completely spiraled downward. It took a month to find the right help. But there are many in the world who don’t find help at all because they don’t know how and they don’t know what’s happening because they were told the wrong information and don’t have access to the right information. But as writers, we have the opportunities to give true information out to the world, even in a fictional story, so we should be taking those opportunities to do something helpful.

So I decided to rate Mix Bloods 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 1 star rating because the plot and characters were interesting, however, it doesn’t get 3 stars because there needs to be a bit more development and the writing needs quite a bit of improvement. But I think people who enjoy reading about vampires and fantasy in general -- especially with some romance -- would enjoy reading this book. I wouldn’t recommend to anyone under sixteen due to moments of nudity that are borderline sexual, graphic scenes of gore, and an instance of language.

Mix Bloods
View: on Bookshelves
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Thanks for such a thorough and honest review. I'm sorry to hear about the poor research work done by the author. I believe self published authors should always try to do better and should always think about the readers who patronise their books.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Great work on the review. Not so great work by the author on the book though. Grammatical errors and punctuation is something that can be easily handled.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Looks like the book lacks everything that makes a novel a worthy read- characterisation, editing and execution. Appreciate the honest review though.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Despite the errors, this sounds like an interesting book. I'm intrigued about what these secrets are. How does Celestria end up feeling about her marriage? I'll keep an eye on this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

The plot sounds very interesting! too bad the writing was not better, I hope it is revised!
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

Elvis Best wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 16:05 Thanks for such a thorough and honest review. I'm sorry to hear about the poor research work done by the author. I believe self published authors should always try to do better and should always think about the readers who patronise their books.
Thank you! Yeah, a little more research would have been a good route for the author to take.
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

Mrunalpatki wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 23:13 Great work on the review. Not so great work by the author on the book though. Grammatical errors and punctuation is something that can be easily handled.
I agree! Thank you!
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

Usma Khann wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 00:47 Looks like the book lacks everything that makes a novel a worthy read- characterisation, editing and execution. Appreciate the honest review though.🌸
It unfortunately was pretty lacking. Thank you!
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 May 2021, 08:32 Despite the errors, this sounds like an interesting book. I'm intrigued about what these secrets are. How does Celestria end up feeling about her marriage? I'll keep an eye on this one. Thanks.
It was interesting, but it just needs better execution. Thank you!
Sydney Lee

Post by Sydney Lee »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 13 May 2021, 14:00 The plot sounds very interesting! too bad the writing was not better, I hope it is revised!
Me too. Thanks for commenting!
Brian baraka
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Brian baraka »

The plot sounds are very interesting.Too bad writing was not better ,hope it's revised
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Sounds like the author needs to take this one back to the drawing board and do some serious editing before I would be willing to invest my time in it. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”