Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Discuss the May 2014 book of the month Splintered by A. G. Howard.

How do you rate Splintered?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
14%
3 stars - good, recommend it
58%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
26%

Total votes: 69

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Post by gali »

Daniel Constancio Jr wrote:@jhollan

Sorry that others responded but the response was for the name indicated.

-- 27 Mayam14, 8:45 p.05 --

@85Vivian

So, you careless about character persona?
It is an open discussion, so others can respond as well. :wink:

-- May 30th, 2014, 6:52 am --
jhollan2 wrote:I think perhaps you are missing the point of the fantasy genre, Daniel. In the beginning, Alyssa fears that she has a mental disorder like her mother, but basically the whole point of the rest of the novel is that she discovers she is half-netherling and what she experienced was a result of her being more than human and able to hear things that humans can't. Her mother is also revealed to have been deliberately faking her mental illness to protect Alyssa from Morpheus. It's not really a question of her being an unreliable narrator due to a mental disorder, because none of the characters actually have mental disorders. She isn't delusional, so I don't think that it is issue of whether or not to trust her narration.
I agree. Alyssa didn't have a mental disorder nor did her mom have. It is a fantasy book and should be regarded as such.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

I think that sometimes, a story may be written as a trilogy, or a series, simply because the story is too big to be told in one book. Not necessarily because the writer is trying to stretch the story. I'm interested to see how the next one goes.
Cool Books
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cool-books.html
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood

Post by Cool Books »

Splintered is the best.

-- 30 May 2014, 17:26 --

I cant wait for the third book I will have to read other book while I wait.

-- 30 May 2014, 17:36 --

I liked this series alot usually when I read series I usually don't like at least on book in the series but i have liked this series.

-- 31 May 2014, 07:05 --

Splintered turned out to be a good book, I did not like it because of genre but it was still very good.

-- 31 May 2014, 08:06 --

I would recomend this book to anyone because it was not my favorite genre but was a very good book.

-- 31 May 2014, 09:31 --
DBarber0322 wrote:I really enjoyed this book. Incredibly creative story line. The author really brought me to Wonderland with just enough detail to envision the wonder, magic, tragic, erotic, and sometimes darkness of this book. The story has so many twists that it keeps your interest in the characters and plot. I found myself struggling with where I wanted Alyssa to end up. I loved both worlds and both of the male Heros. Never though I would find a black and blue Moth Boy attractive. I can see this becoming a movie one day. I give the book 3.8 stars.

I agree.

-- 31 May 2014, 10:30 --
vsc_vet_tech wrote:I loved this book! I loved that it was not your typical "Alice in Wonderland" story. There were so many plot twists that it kept your attention. I finished it in 2 days(probably would have finished in one sitting, if I had the time!). I cannot wait to start the second book! I did also get the e-book novelet, "The Moth in the Mirror", that is from Jeb and Morpheus's point of view. That is next on my list to read! I am recommending this book to all my friends!!!

Also, loved that my book was printed in Purple ink!
I agree.

-- 31 May 2014, 11:03 --
sybil1reader wrote:I never did care much for Alice in Wonderland, so it was with great reservation that I decided to give Splintered a try. Indeed, it is not what I expected and it was an interesting enough read. I got bored in a few places, but I was inspired by the love and sacrifice. This is not my normal genre, so I am on the fence about reading number two.

I agree it was also not my genre but I got it and i liked it. I was also bored in some places but it was overall great. And You should definitely read number two.
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

For those of you who liked the book, who was your favorite character? Mine was Alyssa.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

kio wrote:For those of you who liked the book, who was your favorite character? Mine was Alyssa.
Good question. I'm not sure I have an answer though...

I liked Alyssa, but there were parts where she bugged me. Not that she wasn't a good character. She was acting appropriate for her age and the fact that this was a young adult novel. I'm also not really into the whole skater, silver lip coloring, blue hair thing. But I did still like her.

Morpheus might be my favorite. Not because I like him necessarily, but I liked how you never really knew what he was up to. He was very smooth and charming, but then you knew he was up to something... but what? I found his character to be intriguing and interesting.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I liked Alyssa and Morpheus.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
hayleyb1
Currently Reading: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hayleyb1 »

"Splintered" is a modern twist of the classic "Alice in Wonderland" in which Alice's descendent Alyssa is terrified by the prospect of ending up in an asylum like her mother, especially since she can hear bugs and plants talking constantly. This new version is a fresh look on the original, since I have not come across any other Alice stories based on the descendents of Alice. I think the story could have been shortened and condensed for a more exhilarating book but as it stands, most of the writing was deliberation within Alyssa's psyche and debating her internal love triangle between her human boy Jeb and her magical boy Morpheus. The love triangle trilogy is way too played out recently because it seems like most published authors are following the same structure, but otherwise it was an enjoyable read and I will recommend it to other Alice fans.
MamaBookAddict
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ashes by jeaniene Frost
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabookaddict.html

Post by MamaBookAddict »

I had posted this earlier in the wrong forum and I apologize :) Here is my review: REVIEW: Splintered by A.G. Howard

Post Number:#1 Postby MamaBookAddict » Yesterday, 11:56
I really enjoyed this book. Its definitely a different version of Alice in Wonderland. The author has a great imagination and had me picturing the very colorful scenes in my mind as I read, which made the story all that more enjoyable. This is the author's first book which makes it all that more amazing. The main character is Alyssa Gardner. She always knew she was different. She can 'hear' bugs and spiders talk to her. Her mother is in the mental ward of the hospital for this same 'curse'. A curse which goes back all the way to her great great grandmother Alice Liddell, who was supposedly the inspiration for Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Alyssa's mother starts talking about the rabbit hole, and the white rabbit and creatures that couldnt possibly exist. But as Alyssa soon finds out, its all true. Now Alyssa must go to Wonderland and save it from the Red Queen. She meets Morpheus, her guide, who attracts her and makes her doubt her feelings for Jeb, her best friend up in the 'real world'. As you follow Alyssa through Wonderland, you can really picture the story as it goes. Its a wonderful 'twisted fairy tale' version of Alice in Wonderland and I highly recommend it, and the 2nd book 'Unhinged" !
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

I love fairytale retellings. I love Alice in Wonderland. So naturally, I loved Splintered. In this book, Alyssa goes down the rabbit hole to try to undo all the mess her great-great-great grandmother Alice made. Alice was never quite right after Wonderland. She went mad. She passed this madness down to the females in her family. Alyssa refuses to become mad like her mother.

However, there are clear signs that she is losing her mind. Traces of Wonderland are appearing everywhere. Something, or Someone is luring her into Wonderland.

Alyssa stumbles into Wonderland, but it is no where near the beloved children’s book. Alice in Wonderland was a dream compared to Alyssa’s real life nightmare.

I loved this book. I love the darkness of this retelling. I already have Unhinged. I cannot wait to see what happens. I could do without the romance though. I think it took away from the story. A.G Howard did an excellent job writing this story.
Johntherobert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Post by Johntherobert »

Sounds like a twist.
2Friendly
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The False Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2friendly.html
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by 2Friendly »

This book was a really interesting adaption of Alice in Wonderland. I did think that the twist was a bit irritating, because I felt that the author needed a few more hints here and there, so it wasn't so abrupt, but that's just a small thing. Overall, though, it was great, and I liked it so much I've already read the second one :) just waiting for the last book now...
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I love this book series. ♥
Alyssa is a great character. The twisting of an already twisted faery tale is amazing.
The love triangle isn't the best I've read but nor is it the worst.
I do love both options though.
I wouldn't mind being from this underland.
It really satisfies my hunger for over the top world building.
I can't imagine not loving this dark world.
The way A G Howard uses the base matierial is awe-inspiring to me.
BadrQamra
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badrqamra.html
Latest Review: "Warm Front" by Mark A. York

Post by BadrQamra »

I loved this book series, although i never likes dark worlds but this book changed my mind about them:). I love the characters esp Alyssa of course. I do think that for Alyssa to make a choice between the two worlds is really hard, so i am looking forward to the next book.
Latest Review: "Warm Front" by Mark A. York
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

BadrQamra wrote:I loved this book series, although i never likes dark worlds but this book changed my mind about them:). I love the characters esp Alyssa of course. I do think that for Alyssa to make a choice between the two worlds is really hard, so i am looking forward to the next book.

So does that mean you've come over to the dark side? :lol:
I love the use of black lights and costumes in this/these books.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Mo_The_Book_Worm

Post by Mo_The_Book_Worm »

I liked Splintered at first, but as the book went on I was more and more disenchanted. I did however appreciate how A.G. Howard spun the actual story by Lewis Carroll by bringing in the old story to merge with the new like with the sea of tears. I didn't like how Howard made Morpheus some weird butterfly/archangel/shapeshifter. I miss the caterpillar. I would recommend it to those who like Alice in Wonderland, but are still open-minded to drastic spinoffs.

Return to “"Splintered" by A. G. Howard”