Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Discuss the May 2014 book of the month Splintered by A. G. Howard.

How do you rate Splintered?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
14%
3 stars - good, recommend it
58%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
26%

Total votes: 69

Daniel Constancio Jr
Favorite Author: King
Favorite Book: Danse Macabre
Currently Reading: Divergent saw the movie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Post by Daniel Constancio Jr »

Not necessarily written out, for Alyssa, but in excerpts with "her hearing a bee fighting with flower, and the grasshopper who is about to inform her, I would classify these instances as a demeanor to paranoia. Like I mentioned Edgar Allen Poe, of the infamous, Tale Tell Heart.
He hears the heart thumping and his explanations for the beginning of his story, where tries to explain his great abilities to hear the slightest sound from anywhere of his home.
Small indications of Alyssa explaining how she feels when she "can hear" voices of insects around her. This is absolutely a great part of schizophrenia. An ability bought on by stories from her mother to where she convinces Alyssa that she is gifted with a magic ability.

-- 26 May 2014, 09:19 --

Not necessarily written out, for Alyssa, but in excerpts with "her hearing a bee fighting with flower, and the grasshopper who is about to inform her, I would classify these instances as a demeanor to paranoia. Like I mentioned Edgar Allen Poe, of the infamous, Tale Tell Heart.
He hears the heart thumping and his explanations for the beginning of his story, where tries to explain his great abilities to hear the slightest sound from anywhere of his home.
Small indications of Alyssa explaining how she feels when she "can hear" voices of insects around her. This is absolutely a great part of schizophrenia. An ability bought on by stories from her mother to where she convinces Alyssa that she is gifted with a magic ability.
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

That all makes sense in reality, but the book is fiction and set in a different kind of reality, so I don't think that Alyssa is schizophrenic. I suppose that is a different take on the series though.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece
Cool Books
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cool-books.html
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood

Post by Cool Books »

I liked this book but sometimes it would creep me out but at other times i liked it i give this book a 3.5. I cant wait for the third one in the series to come out.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I'm with GeonnaMarie on this that while paranoia and hearing voices is a symptom of schizophrenia (and many other conditions) there is nothing to indicate that this was Howard's intention. Splintered came across as a YA fantasy novel about a young girl going to Wonderland and righting Alice's wrongs, which is how it is marketed, and not as a psychological Gothic horror story about a mental breakdown. I love Poe and his unique ability to meld sublime horror and mental breakdowns, but I didn't get that impression at all from Howard. I suppose you could interpret it that way, but that doesn't seem to be Howard's intention.
Cool Books

Post by Cool Books »

This book was very interesting.

-- 26 May 2014, 21:53 --

I love the writing of this book.

-- 26 May 2014, 22:29 --

I love this book but i didn't find the romance part necessary the book would still be good without the love triangle.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

jhollan2 wrote:I'm with GeonnaMarie on this that while paranoia and hearing voices is a symptom of schizophrenia (and many other conditions) there is nothing to indicate that this was Howard's intention. Splintered came across as a YA fantasy novel about a young girl going to Wonderland and righting Alice's wrongs, which is how it is marketed, and not as a psychological Gothic horror story about a mental breakdown. I love Poe and his unique ability to meld sublime horror and mental breakdowns, but I didn't get that impression at all from Howard. I suppose you could interpret it that way, but that doesn't seem to be Howard's intention.
Agreed. Although arguably that would make it a much more interesting book...
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
Daniel Constancio Jr

Of course, GeonnaMarie has many ideas on her take for this Splinterred book.

But, what we're looking at is this question: "How does a writer create the illusion of their books theme?"

In example: When writing a book, the Author, must emulate the characters realm.

You know, classifying the book, like Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Action, Thriller.

With this in mind, we go back to the question: "How does the writer create the Genre's illusion?

This is one foundation to establishing a great book/a not so great boring book. Creating the illusion for a realm in which the reader wants to find "what does this fantasy story have that makes me curious?"

This is very important.

So Alyssa says (on page 3- top paragraph). "Yes, I do hear the voices"

And later down the same page, a different paragraph, she explains that she is dellusional.

Hence, the writer sets the mood for a "Fantasy story."

Now, as a reader, I'm looking very much to reading a story that intrigues my curiosity, AND! I want this story to evolve with cataclysmic graphic words!

Words are extremely essential in keeping the reader's interest. If it doesn't submit a colorful "Illusion of Fantasy" then the writer fails to
"HOOK" my interest.

Thus, the foundation must reveal with delicious ideas on "How Alyssa will save herself from killing herself or someone else" due to her demented life.

A.G. Howard did not "Hook" me fast enough so I could absorb the Heroine's ordeal.

It came across, as if The story belong to "Alyssa's Mother." Which is a shame because now, the Author has to re-establish the "Foundation of Fantasy" for SPLINTERRED...

Does anyone ideally comprehend why I attempt to explain why using your greatest techniques for "Illusion Writing Techniques" as stepping stones to lead us away from reality, and welcome a great Fantasy?

Your answer:
karenr

Post by karenr »

I really enjoyed this book - it was a great escape from reality :)
Daniel Constancio Jr

Well said, Karenr. The point of reading is to develop a correspondence with the Fantasy Illusion. The better the Fantasy, the better dreamer the reader becomes.
Cool Books

Post by Cool Books »

This book was recommended to me by my teacher.

-- 27 May 2014, 11:57 --

I did not like the love triangle scenario.
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I think it might have started off a little slow for me and there were some parts that seemed a bit creepy to me. I am thinking about giving the second book in the series a shot...
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
Daniel Constancio Jr

Yes, and everyone has a chance to get the second book, since it caught their attention.

For me, I'm a real innovator for techniques and format scores. It's difficult for me to not
notice sly metaphors or a change in tone. These small things make it intriguing for my
evaluations and I love it.

I also check for grammar and do some editting to see if the story's wording could improve,
but that's just me critiquing etiquette.

I like the story, but most of all, I love to read the Author's technique (dwelling into the abyss belonging to the
Author).

Good one on y'a!
Cool Books

Post by Cool Books »

i usually do not read this genre but this book was great.

-- 27 May 2014, 16:24 --

i usually do not read this genre but this book was great.
Daniel Constancio Jr

Excellent Cool Books!

This genre is extremely difficult when writing. The transition from "reality to fantasy" and back from "fantasy to reality" cause a big wave of attention distraction. A writer knows that this transition "can lose" their participating reader.

Any normal foundation for any genre "must maintain a promise." The Promise to maintain a Fantasy story and a Promise to keep the reader at the edge of their seat with flowing curiosity.

Should the foundation of this Promise be compromised, then the Writer loses his audience(s).

I found that too much emphasis was placed on Alyssa's mother, Allison...

I would have wrote it with Alyssa ignoring her relatives and friend's advice which had "anything to do with her mother's medical situation."

Thus, keeping Alyssa away from discussions pertaining to "what should do for my dear suffering mother?" And making everyone a "mumbler" (a discreet voice tone) while we read that she has thoughts of her feelings rather making time to listen to the mumbler.
85Vivian+

Post by 85Vivian+ »

I could not even finish it, it was that bad. An attempt at re-imagining Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland,'" this falls far short of the original. Most of the familiar characters are involved, with some new ones added, but I could not get interested in any of these characters. The plot has Alyssa following Alice's adventures down the rabbit hole in an effort to break the family curse which put her mother in an institution because she heard voices from bugs and plants. There is a subplot of a romance between the teenage Alyssa and her BFF Jeb, but it fails to get beyond the very juvenile telling of the emotions and sparks between the two. I tried to finish it, but could not, because I really did not care what happened. Sorry, A.G. Howard. Try reading Ann Rice or Ursula LeGuin for some really good fantasy writing!

Return to “"Splintered" by A. G. Howard”