Overall Rating and Opinion of The Bone Season

Discuss the April 2014 book of the month, The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.

How do you rate The Bone Season?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
35%
3 stars - good, recommend it
44%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
19%

Total votes: 43

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Overall Rating and Opinion of The Bone Season

Post by Scott »

What was your overall opinion of The Bone Season? Would you recommend others read the book? Why or why not? What did you like most about the book? What did you like least about the book?

I like this book. I read it simply because it was the book of the month, which I have done with many other books. This means I know nothing about it going in, not even the synopsis from the back of the book or Amazon or whatever. I was a little thrown off by the terminology at first. I was confused as to what vernacular was off to me because it was British and I am American or because it was part of the fantasy world. I did not realize their was a glossary until I finished the book.

The story was a little slow to start for me, but did get me quite intrigued. However, I was expecting more from the story, and feel it probably wasn't delivered as a means of setting up a series. I am usually a lot more hesitant to start series than single books because a series is much more of an investment.

Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4. I would recommend it to others with the caveat of it being a series and if like me they are not much interested in a series probably won't be interested in getting started with this book.

What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
crashlee012
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashlee012.html

Post by crashlee012 »

Oh my gosh! I was practically gushing after I read this book. I honestly didn't expect it to be as good as it was. A lot of people have been comparing it to Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. I don't really see a point in doing so; they are all absolutely amazing in their own ways and don't particularly need to be compared. But what can you do?
I can't wait for the next book to come out! If you haven't read it yet, DO IT!!! You won't regret it a bit. Well, unless you aren't a fan of the supernatural. But read it anyway! I know loads of people who claim they don't like supernatural novels and then end up loving the books once I wear them down :D
I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did! The author is now on my radar and won't be forgotten :P
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

crashlee012 wrote:Oh my gosh! I was practically gushing after I read this book. I honestly didn't expect it to be as good as it was. A lot of people have been comparing it to Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. I don't really see a point in doing so; they are all absolutely amazing in their own ways and don't particularly need to be compared. But what can you do?
I can't wait for the next book to come out! If you haven't read it yet, DO IT!!! You won't regret it a bit. Well, unless you aren't a fan of the supernatural. But read it anyway! I know loads of people who claim they don't like supernatural novels and then end up loving the books once I wear them down :D
I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did! The author is now on my radar and won't be forgotten :P
I completely agree with you! I can't wait for the next book to come out. Very few books get my attention the way this one did. I would and already have recommended this book to family and friends.
I read the reviews from different websites (amazon, goodreads, etc) and also noticed there was a lot of comparison to Harry Potter and noticed a lot of people based their hopes off of that, nothing like Harry Potter for those who haven't read it yet and in my opinion, better!
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

Aside from Harry Potter, I haven't read any of the plentiful books geared toward the YA audience, which this seemed to be. I've been waiting for this discussion to start, to see what reactions are. So I have not read Hunger Games (nor Divergent, if it comes to that) - based on the synopsis, that appears to be a closer comparison. Based on the above comments, said comparison is not needed.

So: what makes this book so good? Why should it be read?
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
CatGitane
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catgitane.html
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by CatGitane »

So far so good! I love the fact that she put graphics about the hierarchy of the Seven Orders of Clairvoyance and a map of the Penal Colony of Sheol I - it's interesting to see what's in her mind about it, and it already gives you an idea about the whole ordeal. And if sometimes you're confused about where a scene is happening or who is part of what order, well, you can easily flip back to the first pages :). A good point! However, I shall rate later for I've just started reading it.
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I liked this book as it was a nice diversion. It was a remarkably quick page turning read. It created a new world which you could see in your mind. The story did drag out a bit at the end for me but was still worth reading. It did not leave me wanting more and I probably won't be reading the other books in the series as it felt resolved at the end of the book. I gave it a 3 out of 4 as it kept my interest to pretty much the end
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I just started it last night before bed and I am already 75 pages in. It started a little slow, perhaps confusingly, for me at least with lots of zany vocabulary and descriptions that I had to keep referring to the legend in the front of the book for. Gotta say, so far, I love it!
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

AMP76 wrote:I just started it last night before bed and I am already 75 pages in. It started a little slow, perhaps confusingly, for me at least with lots of zany vocabulary and descriptions that I had to keep referring to the legend in the front of the book for. Gotta say, so far, I love it!
I agree. I started it today and it indeed started a bit slow. I am around page 50 and it is getting better.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

gali wrote:
AMP76 wrote:I just started it last night before bed and I am already 75 pages in. It started a little slow, perhaps confusingly, for me at least with lots of zany vocabulary and descriptions that I had to keep referring to the legend in the front of the book for. Gotta say, so far, I love it!
I agree. I started it today and it indeed started a bit slow. I am around page 50 and it is getting better.
I agree Gali, for me it was also a slow start but once it picked up I flew through it. :)
AMP76

Post by AMP76 »

Yeah, maybe that's how I am already on page 199! Admittedly, had I known this was a series before I started it, I probably would have passed on it for now. Not because I am necessarily opposed to series, per se, but because I decided long ago to never start another series until ALL the books were out, refer to Game of Thrones and Dark Tower, they were published over more than a decade time span, and I am really not a patient person! I am working on it. Always ;) That being said, I am not even halfway thru this and already lookong forward to the next installment :)
damla
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damla.html
Latest Review: "Yamani" by Jeffrey Robinson

Post by damla »

Now that I am reading all these comments I am wondering if I am the only one who didn't find this book worthy..
AMP76

Post by AMP76 »

Damla, nothing wrong with that! Maybe this book just doesn't do anything for you! I know in my real life bookclub, I very often disagree with the other members, as in, they love a book and I think its a chore to get through!
khamneithang
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khamneithang.html
Latest Review: "The Unraveling of Abby Settel" by Sylvia May

Post by khamneithang »

Readable and engaging but not my kind of book.
Life is good when you get to do work that you love and are supported by people who not only encourage you, but look forward to your efforts.
Latest Review: "The Unraveling of Abby Settel" by Sylvia May
AMP76

Post by AMP76 »

Loved the book! Hate that its a series and now I have to wait!
damla
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damla.html

Post by damla »

AMP76 wrote:Damla, nothing wrong with that! Maybe this book just doesn't do anything for you! I know in my real life bookclub, I very often disagree with the other members, as in, they love a book and I think its a chore to get through!
Yeah well, point.. :)

Return to “"The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon”