Overall Rating and Opinion of The Bone Season

Discuss the April 2014 book of the month, The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.

How do you rate The Bone Season?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
35%
3 stars - good, recommend it
44%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
19%

Total votes: 43

Jo Ledamun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of The Bone Season

Post by Jo Ledamun »

The Bone Season keeps gathering momentum, the more and more I read of it!
Thumbs up.
If you enjoyed reading Angelfall by Susan Ee, I think you will like The Bone Season too.
I think the relationship between the 2 main characters of both books share similar characteristic traits & the relationship dynamics between them are virtually the same.
:D
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.
Jo Ledamun

Post by Jo Ledamun »

Jo Ledamun wrote:The Bone Season keeps gathering momentum, the more and more I read of it!
Thumbs up.
If you enjoyed reading Angelfall by Susan Ee, I think you will like The Bone Season too.
I think the relationship between the 2 main characters of both books share similar characteristic traits & the relationship dynamics between them are virtually the same.
:D
I really enjoyed this book. A very adrenaline filled ending. I look forward to reading the next book in the series! :lol:
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Am I the only one who always checks to see how many pages a book is before I start it? I just like to know, so I found the glossary right away and it was helpful. I really enjoyed The Bone Season. It was a fast read, I finished it in two days once I picked it up, and I loved the world Shannon has built. Kind of steam-punk meets Orwell. Contrary to a lot of readers, I liked the way that the perspective shifted and the information was doled out. We get very little information up front, and it is doled out piecemeal throughout the whole of the book, in the same way that Warden receives it.

I was not impressed with the love triangle aspect...if you could call it a triangle. I was really enjoying Paige as a strong independent female character who was growing and maturing and coming to accept and master her own power and I felt like the scenes with Nick and Warden undermined that strength. Would it really be so bad for someone to write a book without feeling compelled to add romantic subplot? It just didn't jive with my earlier feelings of the character.
Scratchy
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: The Angelus Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 152
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Scratchy »

I really enjoyed this book. I picked it at random in the libraries new authors section, so I had no idea it was a 6 book series. I'm not fond of series books unless all of the books are out. I don't like to wait years for the next installment. This book was slow to get started but once it did, it left an after burn for more.I am looking forward to seeing what happens to Paige and The Warden in the next book. I would recommend this book to people that I know who enjoy this type of book. Overall I would give it 4 stars, I would have given it 5, but I don't like series books.
Jo Ledamun

Post by Jo Ledamun »

Scratchy wrote:I really enjoyed this book. I picked it at random in the libraries new authors section, so I had no idea it was a 6 book series. I'm not fond of series books unless all of the books are out. I don't like to wait years for the next installment. This book was slow to get started but once it did, it left an after burn for more.I am looking forward to seeing what happens to Paige and The Warden in the next book. I would recommend this book to people that I know who enjoy this type of book. Overall I would give it 4 stars, I would have given it 5, but I don't like series books.

I agree with your comment about trilogy's & series. I often prefer one off books too.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Overall, I liked the book. It kind of dragged, though, and had a hard time buying into the characters. Still, I'd read any sequels. The plot was intriguing enough.
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

jhollan2 wrote:Am I the only one who always checks to see how many pages a book is before I start it? I just like to know, so I found the glossary right away and it was helpful. I really enjoyed The Bone Season. It was a fast read, I finished it in two days once I picked it up, and I loved the world Shannon has built. Kind of steam-punk meets Orwell. ...
I didn't think of the steampunk-y feel to the book until you mentioned it, but I think that that was part of the reason that I enjoyed the book as well.
The glossary did help a lot when I didn't feel like trying to decode what specific words meant.
dlachance9
Favorite Author: Tom Robbins
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlachance9.html
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
fav_author_id: 3036

Post by dlachance9 »

I felt that this book missed the mark in terms of intended audience. It read like a YA novel, but included "adult language" and sexual themes, which seemed unnecessary to me. It felt like the author wasn't sure who she was writing for.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed. The "clairvoyance" idea seemed a little forced, like other "magical" themes had already been done (witches and wizards, vampires, werewolves, etc) so she had to find something novel to try. It just didn't work for me. I rated it a 2/4 because despite all this, it was a quick, suspenseful, and mildly entertaining read.
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
wendyrelia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyrelia.html

Post by wendyrelia »

I didn't realize that it was a series going into it, but it doesn't make much difference to me. If I don't connect with the main character, it doesn't bother me to not know how the rest of the series goes. I don't think I'll read the rest of The Bone Season series. I thought it was an engaging story, even with all it's unusual vocabulary, but I didn't really connect with any of the characters.
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

I'm sorry to say that I couldn't make it very far into the book. I was very intrigued in the beginning, but I think I was expecting more fantasy/other worldly adventure and less supernatural romance, and once it started heading in the direction of the latter, my motivation to read completely ended. I was very frustrated with the main character after a while as well, since it seemed like she was rebellious in a way that didn't even slightly make sense to me. Maybe that changes after a while, but I just had no desire to continue reading. I also didn't know it was a series, so I'm glad that I didn't get too invested now that I know that!
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
GypsySpirit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gypsyspirit.html

Post by GypsySpirit »

I liked many of the ideas in the book and that it is nicely different. I read it all and enjoyed it but overall I was disappointed by the unclarity about all those clairvoyant types; sometimes it felt as if the author was making up new ones on the spot. Maybe this was intended because apparently there wasn't much knowledge about those types in the fictional world either. I also just didn't believe the characters, they just seemed way to stereotypical and flat to me. I don't want to sound like one of those people but ever since Paige met Warden the end was sort of clear (and still doesn't make a lot of sense; it seems very black-and-white). And some scenes just plainly weren't logical. One minute Warden has bare hands, gets taken away (*trying not to put any spoilers in here*) and when he comes back he suddenly is wearing gloves again. There were more scenes like that, this is just one I remember.
So it wasn't a bad read but if you prefer well thought-through stories and believable characters I wouldn't recommend it.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I'm not a big fan of this genre, but it held my interest. Too many ancillary characters, though. The story could have been streamlined (and shortened) and been just as good.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:
gali wrote:
AMP76 wrote:I just started it last night before bed and I am already 75 pages in. It started a little slow, perhaps confusingly, for me at least with lots of zany vocabulary and descriptions that I had to keep referring to the legend in the front of the book for. Gotta say, so far, I love it!
I agree. I started it today and it indeed started a bit slow. I am around page 50 and it is getting better.
I agree Gali, for me it was also a slow start but once it picked up I flew through it. :)

I found the book pretty slow for the duration of the novel. I'm actually pretty upset by the fact that I didn't really enjoy it that much, which is strange because normally I find books similar in genre to be some of my favorites!
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Book-obsessed
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Graffiti Moon
Currently Reading: Opal
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-obsessed.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Book-obsessed »

I usually start out with low expectations for books so I don't get disappointed and while this one started out a bit slow it turned in to something utterly outstanding! I suggest for everyone to read it, even if you're not into the supernatural it's a good book for e genre.
Crap happens; it's inevitable, it's a part of life. You can't let it destroy though, you learn to be stronger and wiser through the crappy things that happen.

Return to “"The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon”