Overall Rating and Opinion of The Bone Season

Discuss the April 2014 book of the month, The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.

How do you rate The Bone Season?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
35%
3 stars - good, recommend it
44%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
19%

Total votes: 43

Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of The Bone Season

Post by Little House »

I didn't enjoy this book very much, even more than half-way through the book, I didn't feel like I knew what was going on. Once I finally figured it out, I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping for something a bit less predictable. Overall, I gave the book 2 out of 4 stars because it seemed to drag through most of the book.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
Colette Marie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colette-marie.html

Post by Colette Marie »

I have just began reading the book and I find it fairly interesting. However, the first few chapters dumped a little more information on me than I would have liked it to. But overall, this book is quite interesting.
sarah-k
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-k.html

Post by sarah-k »

I thought it was pretty good. My friend thought way more highly than me though.
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I loved the book. Vocabulary was a bit tough but after awhile I got used to it.
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
Ck1219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ck1219.html

Post by Ck1219 »

I was very impressed with this book. I borrowed it from my online library having no idea what it was about. I was thrown by the terminology and honestly, what the heck was going on at first but then it sucked me in. I really enjoyed it. The main character was so ballsy and infuriating. But at the same time her character and personality were developed in such a way that I couldn't say, " oh now why would she do that? Come on Shannon!" I hate when authors do that. It shows poor character development. I'm not saying the reader should know what is going to happen but I hate when characters do something they'd never do just so the author can wrap the book up. (Last book of the hunger game trilogy) It was almost as if the author wrote down what happened instead of making it up in her head. It wasn't Shannon's fault that Paige didn't kiss the boy till the end. It was Paige's fault. Because Paige couldn't fully trust him; not until the end. She tough and smart and like I said, ballsy. You go 40! And you go Shannon!
jrankin0607

Post by jrankin0607 »

When I started The Bone Season I was thrown off by some of it I dont know but I guess I had other expectations of the storyline but I didn't realize it was going to be a series like some of you. So the ending so such a shock that I sat there in bed thinking wait what just happened and wheres the rest! haha. But I actually harassed my best friend until she read it too. So i would most definitely recommend this book to someone who likes paranormal. Not for everyone tho, I did read this within 2-3 days because I had to push thru the beginning but once I started to grasp the storyline I was hooked. I liked that story structure and the world that she created was a new one to me. I'd rate this 3 out of 4. And cant wait to find out what happens in the next book!
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I've been kind of curious about this book but I'm also afraid of not liking it and think reading was a waste of my time :s sometimes these over hyped end up being like that, at least for me.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I read that this was inspired in part by the Salem Witch Trials, but I have a friend who studies that period of history, and she's critical about how they've been portrayed in the popular media. Judging by the plot, I'm not sure how much historical fact found its way into the book, although there's plenty of fantasy....
zoe2328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe2328.html

Post by zoe2328 »

I quiet enjoyed the story line to the book, and believe that it could become quiet a good series. The story was captivating, with a lot of detail into the small things, allowing the reader to become involved with the characters. For the audience it was aimed at, YA readers, I think it had all the right plot lines- intrigue, mystery, fantasy, dealing with the unknown and not fitting in, and of course the romance. I quiet liked the actually story of the book, which I found was different to the usual fantasy YA books- not one vampire in sight :P ; and slight twists on the usual fantasy genre story lines. The book came off as a fairly original idea and design which I loved. Many original characters, which at the time could make it hard to keep the story line together, but that often happens with the first book to a series when all the ground work needs to be laid. Though the first book that she has published (that I am aware of), and at some points during the book where the plot line thinned a little it was easy to realize that this was her first book, I believe that it has set up a solid ground for the sequel to come out, as well as ground work for more than one more book.
And the end left me wanting to see what the next book will hold, so I guess it has made its point, getting me to buy the next one to see where the story leads.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

Mixed opinions. I guess I will give it a miss.
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

The premise of this book sounds intriguing and it got a lot of 3 and 4 star ratings here. I may have to pick up a copy. I love how I can go through the old book of the month selections and look for works that people on this site liked and that fit my interests.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I've never heard of this book before, but it sounds good! Happy I found this site for all the reviews and recommendations :)
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
Bookish Ian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookish-ian.html

Post by Bookish Ian »

I've been hearing about this book all over, until I finally knuckled down and brought a copy the other day. I'm always a little skeptical when the booksellers market something as 'the next Harry Potter' but I was impressed by the first few pages. Also: I'm a sucker for family trees, organisation-lists and diagrams at the start of a book - you know you're in for a detailed setting!
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

It sounds like an interesting book actually. I should consider reading this one too.
''So many books, so little time'!
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I think I you guys just made me want to read this book!
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Return to “"The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon”