How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Ebook

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
vipingoyal
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 444

Re: How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Eboo

Post by vipingoyal »

It is wonderful experience to read so many good suggestions in one thread. Thanks for introducing the topic.
BookLover2280
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=2735">To Kill a Mockingbird</a>
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover2280.html
Latest Review: "Magick & Moonlight" by Marie Lavender
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookLover2280 »

Thanks for this I was wondering how to go about doing this. You helped me out a lot.
Latest Review: "Magick & Moonlight" by Marie Lavender
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

psyche wrote:I think that in addition to the book, the cover and blurb need to be good, clear and look professional. They should make it absolutely clear what "type" of book it is. I see many self-pub books with covers and blurbs that are vague and give very little info about the book.
I completely agree! I cannot express how frustrating it is to me that a perfectly good, well-written book, sometimes has a crappy cover. I think that in the world of self-publishing, a lot of people don't take the cover into account as much as they should.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
WilsoRoy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WilsoRoy »

Very nice & impressive article you have posted.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I have written about 30x as much on this topic of book promotion and released it as an ebook for Kindle just today. Check it out: 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Kenpy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenpy.html

Post by Kenpy »

Good tips. I think for people with extra money to whip up goodies like bookmarks, giveaways of those kinds of goods might be effective.

I also cannot agree more that a good cover can make a book more enticing. I've stuck with some awful reads for longer than I normally would have just because I so wanted to believe the words on the pages would live up to the cover art.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Scott wrote:I have written about 30x as much on this topic of book promotion and released it as an ebook for Kindle just today. Check it out: 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget
Congratulations, Scott!!!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:I have written about 30x as much on this topic of book promotion and released it as an ebook for Kindle just today. Check it out: 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget
Congratulations and good luck! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
donaldzlotnik
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38853">MYK: Prince of the Vends</a>
Bookshelf Size: 56
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by donaldzlotnik »

Scott! The best advice you gave is: write a VERY GOOD BOOK! The majority of E-Books are trash and I've written a few of them myself! Some so bad, even I refuse to publish them, BUT! The key to writing is to WRITE! Eventually, out of the pile emerges a truly great book. I've published 12 E-book and ten New York publishing house published books. I've played in both sandlots. What I like about E-books is I get to decide on everything from the cover to the layouts and I decide what to cut or leave in my creations.

Editing, re-writing, creating, design and story-editing are all easy tasks for me--the MOST difficult task is breaking "a really good book" through the layers of very poor E-books flooding the E-book market and get the reader to look at them, especially if one writes a saga--a really LONG book (1,000 pages+). Websites that allow authors to post and advertise their books are inundated with posts of book covers and if you notice, rarely does anyone COMMENT on the books. The sites are flooded with AUTHORS and not readers!

The key is separating talented authors from self-aggrandizing egotists. The true storyteller is interested in as many people as possible READING their stories and sharing the joy of the twists and turns and the little verbal pictures hidden throughout the adventure. I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of highly successful authors and not one of them has written a single word FOR money; money comes after good writing. :D
Divya agarwal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-agarwal.html

Post by Divya agarwal »

Very informative and acute tips. In fact, i will also like to mention the same for your book '10 Step Plan To Promote Your Book' and advise Indie authors and self pubishers to read and follow it.

Every word of the book reflects your experience in this field and can be of great help to anyone needing it.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

donaldzlotnik wrote:. I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of highly successful authors and not one of them has written a single word FOR money; money comes after good writing. :D
That's a great point, @donaldzlotik ! :D And thank you for other comments too!

-- 21 Oct 2015 11:47 am --
Divya agarwal wrote:Very informative and acute tips. In fact, i will also like to mention the same for your book '10 Step Plan To Promote Your Book' and advise Indie authors and self pubishers to read and follow it.

Every word of the book reflects your experience in this field and can be of great help to anyone needing it.
Thank you, Divya!
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Gabsmilesmart23

Post by Gabsmilesmart23 »

Thankyou I have found this article helpful and enlightening.:)
Madhu Sri
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhu-sri.html
Latest Review: "Sex and the Underground City" by Laura Roberts

Post by Madhu Sri »

Great article. I am in the process of writing a book right now and I think I will use this process.
Latest Review: "Sex and the Underground City" by Laura Roberts
TrinityWoods

Post by TrinityWoods »

I really like how you broke it down a bit. I had registered to this website earlier and cannot think of what I named myself and it wasn't that long ago. But I am here now and with the username of the book that I wrote a long time ago. I'm re-writing it and will be sending it in so that it can be reviewed by these wonderful people here on Online book club website. But I just wanted to say that it's great that you are willing to help others figure out how to advertise their book without breaking their wallet in half. I had my book published by a not so great publisher and it didn't sell at all so I'm trying it again and this time on my own without having to pay 600+ Dollars and nothing happens. So thank you Scott.
Julian Pencilliah
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Julian Pencilliah »

Books reviews are great but they need to be seen by readers. I recommend contacting your local newspaper, it worked for me.

Return to “Writing Discussion”