How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Ebook

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Kiwiwriter
Currently Reading: WORLD WAR II PLUS 75 -- The Road To War
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Eboo

Post by Kiwiwriter »

Thank you for telling me how it's done...I sent my book to you for a review. I had a tough time downloading it from Amazon for you guys. My computer stick drive with the book died a few weeks ago, destroying my only copy of it, so I had to purchase it from Amazon to do so.

So I purchased it again and that worked. All I need to know is when I get the review, and what folks say about it. It should be interesting...I've had people say everything about my writing from "You're simply the best writer I know" to "Your output is rather lame, and my entire high school journalism class is better than yours."

So I will sit in the tumbrel, awaiting the glitter of the guillotine!
s_curley
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-curley.html

Post by s_curley »

Thank You! This has been so helpful! I appreciate your input. :D
JohnPriest
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JohnPriest »

Some valid points and tips here Scott, thank you. It's a hard slog to complete a book and even harder to market/promote it;-)
Specterpoet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-specterpoet.html

Post by Specterpoet »

Awesome tips! I'm releasing a self-published book on May 22. While I've already done other books, this is the first that I'm deliberately taking up a notch--publicizing, getting reviews, and setting up social media campaigns. It's a scary process, and it takes up a lot of time and effort. But I'm really excited to see how well it pays off in the end!
Norm + Kim

Post by Norm + Kim »

I agree that the Smashwords Guide is a real life saver. It made self-publishing really easy. I haven't quite figured out how the print on demand type of publishing works but I imagine with more research I will get it. The best part of self-publishing is that you control your own destiny. It may be slower but more satisfying (I hope). I still need to find more locations where I can promote books.
Norm + Kim

Post by Norm + Kim »

Don't forget to make up some business cards with your information on it with a picture and brief description of your book. Hand them out to everyone. Put them in draw bins. Anything that you can do to drive traffic to your book is great.
amadams97
Currently Reading: The Boss
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amadams97.html

Post by amadams97 »

Just a thought, you might want to make sure that if you're talking to a publishing company and you've already sent them a manuscript of your book, make sure you follow their guidelines. Some publishers will not publish your book if you send it to more than one of them at a time!
susan-1
Currently Reading: The Universe in a Nutshell
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-1.html

Post by susan-1 »

I've published two ebooks, and your article is very helpful to me!
affu933

Post by affu933 »

Very nice and useful article, i was thinking that a person can noway independently promote his book but here it is that how to do that, thanks man.
AparisNedd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparisnedd.html

Post by AparisNedd »

Self publishing sounds like a fun career but I know it takes a lot of dedication.I wasn't aware of self publishing services at first.I think it is cool that there are services out there that give unknown authors a voice. I prefer a book over a ebook but everyone does seem to enjoy reading off a tablet.
Rosefrenchhorn
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosefrenchhorn.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rosefrenchhorn »

Thank you for this! My friend recently self published his book in paper and eBook, inspiring me to start the road to publishing my own works. This is very useful information!
Mauritius
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Mauritius »

Many thanks for the advice. Very informative.
Kiwiwriter
Currently Reading: WORLD WAR II PLUS 75 -- The Road To War
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kiwiwriter »

I've got the books published, but sales are not going too well...any new ideas?
ladyankh39
Currently Reading: Renegades of Pern
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyankh39.html

Post by ladyankh39 »

All very good tips for when I start self-publishing
my books. Gotta love articles like this!!
MaySage

Post by MaySage »

Sherelle wrote: Most of us are writers, not marketers.
I'm completely with you there. I'm loving every part of the publishing process, save for the most important: marketing :(

Return to “Writing Discussion”