Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Shellby85
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shellby85.html

Re: Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by Shellby85 »

I've never really thought to listen to music I may give it a try it might help me get into the groove better! Thanks!
zifranka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zifranka.html

Post by zifranka »

Normally your mood tells you what to listen to. If you're in the mood to write, your mind just kind of dictates what's good to listen to. I think what's more important is the ambient noise you're trying to drown out while you're writing. It won't matter if you've got headphones on, for instance, when there's a bunch of noisy kids playing in the background or your roommate's on the phone too loud. Depends on the kind of environment you find stimulating. In the end, at least in my case, it won't matter much what kind of music you play in the background as your brain eventually tunes it down as you get more and more engrossed in writing.
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

zifranka wrote:Normally your mood tells you what to listen to. If you're in the mood to write, your mind just kind of dictates what's good to listen to. I think what's more important is the ambient noise you're trying to drown out while you're writing. It won't matter if you've got headphones on, for instance, when there's a bunch of noisy kids playing in the background or your roommate's on the phone too loud. Depends on the kind of environment you find stimulating. In the end, at least in my case, it won't matter much what kind of music you play in the background as your brain eventually tunes it down as you get more and more engrossed in writing.
Drowning out ambient noise is for certain!
Obiebookworm
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
jazzybear
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The Mortal Insruments City of Glass
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazzybear.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by jazzybear »

I do listen to music when I write because I normally have writer's block, which makes it harder to keep writing. The mood and tone of the music gives me ideas, depending on the genre, which varies in my playlist.
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

I'm very inconsistent with this...sometimes it seems that I *need* music in order to get writing, other times I can't deal with it. Sometimes I meet in the middle and choose music without lyrics. Vitamin string quartet has some amazing musical covers of a whole range of songs, and sometimes I'll go with them for a music sans voices to distract me.
kiwes
Favorite Author: Daniel Black
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Who Do I Run To
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiwes.html

Post by kiwes »

That all depends on what it is I'm writing. When writing a love scene, or doing some type of romance writing, I like to listen to slow music to help me feel what I know my characters would be feeling at that time. But usually, I prefer complete silence. I don't mind the background noise of children playing outside, or cars zooming by the house, but inside the house, while I'm at the laptop, I need silence, and usually, if I do not get it, my family has hell to pay! So, when I'm in "writer's mode," my hubby will take our daughter and be gone for the entire day so I don't have any distractions. When I'm reading though, I listen to soothing quiet music and that makes the book that much better, although Scott, I realize that wasn't your question, but thought I'd throw that out there.
ConorEngelb
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: On Writing
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conorengelb.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ConorEngelb »

I usually listen to music when I'm writing, at least if it's at my laptop. It's usually classical music or music from soundtracks to movies/games/tv shows, but with some rock type stuff thrown in as well. Basically stuff that blocks out the rest of the world without overwhelming me.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
thebookworm4ever
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookworm4ever.html
fav_author_id: 3117

Post by thebookworm4ever »

Yes I often do, I usually change it up to match the scene im writing about it makes me feel like I'm connected to the scene. Music is like words they can make you feel things and be inspired to create new work.

Post by avatarofrozein »

I have an entire playlist of instrumental and classical music just to listen to while I write. It acts as a background noise which helps me concentrate on my writing. Music with lyrics distracts me while writing, so I try not to listen to any music with words while writing.
DiDi

Post by DiDi »

Dear Scott,

I prefer not to have any music playing when I am writing. My mind would jump to the music and sing/hum along to whatever is playing in the background. It is too much of a distraction for me.

I do however, enjoy the sounds of nature while I am working, such as the crickets chirping in the middle of the night right now.

Warm regards,

DiDi
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

Lyrics are definitely distracting. When I do have music to calm and center myself, I will put on KBAQ (the PBS Classical Music Channel in Arizona) in the living room at a lower volume while I work in my office. Being in a different room seems to eliminate the distraction and allow me to focus.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I listen to music that I feel fits the mood of what I'm writing at the time. It helps me get into the story.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
debbie smith
Currently Reading: Shadowhorn: Age of the Revenant
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie-smith.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by debbie smith »

I write best out on my deck or at a park where there is a background of nature: birds, wind in the trees, squirrels, distant lawnmowers or traffic (keyword is distant) However, I don't often get the opportunity to sit long enough in this environment to write much. I can listen to soft classical, or teaching/lecturing voices as long as they are fairly monotone and write. Quiet also works for me.
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
R_H_Ali
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-h-ali.html

Post by R_H_Ali »

I prefer silence to write. However, that luxury is not always a reality, so I'd put on music in order to block out other distractions and get me to my zen place.
db3hr
Favorite Author: Ernest Hemingway
Favorite Book: A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov
Currently Reading: The Broom of the System by David Wallace
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db3hr.html
fav_author_id: 2458

Post by db3hr »

Complete silence is distracting in itself. My solution so far has been instrumental music. Lyrics are distracting for me, but actual music is just inspiring and helpful to hear. Ratatat and RJD2 are old favorites, along with Explosions in the Sky and Four Tet. Recently there's been a lot of Tycho in my life, and Enemies. Do Make Say Think also has some great stuff. Interesting enough technical patterns going on in the music to stick with you on some level, but chill enough to not be distracting.

Return to “Writing Discussion”