Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
SammyLou37
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammylou37.html

Re: Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by SammyLou37 »

I do listen to music occasionally, sometimes it can add to the atmosphere I am trying to create. However there are times when I have got so engrossed in my writing that it isn't until I have come out of the 'zone' that I realise I have been in absolute silence for hours! Either seems to work, I don't think I have ever been 'put off' or lost concentration from listening to a bit of rock :P
haines_drew
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haines-drew.html
Latest Review: "The Recluse Storyteller" by Mark W Sasse

Post by haines_drew »

I do sometimes. I think it depends on how serious I am about what I am writing. If I'm doing something for school, I will listen to music but if I am doing something for myself, I don't. I find that it influences my work a little too much for my liking.
Latest Review: "The Recluse Storyteller" by Mark W Sasse
calib371
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calib371.html

Post by calib371 »

no it distracts me. i am unable to do that. i wish i could cuz that would be so cool, and very unique dontcha think?
lyndsie_anna
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: The Poisonwood Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyndsie-anna.html
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by lyndsie_anna »

I can't listen to music when I write, even though I write music too, and usually it influences everything that I do. But if I listen while I write, I'll end up singing along and then typing whatever I'm singing. LOL
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
Tam crabbe

Post by Tam crabbe »

No I don't I can't seem to write if I listen to music because I can't seem to write when I do.
sasha653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha653.html

Post by sasha653 »

I listen to music more when I write more than when I read. When I write I usually don't pay much attention to what is being played especially since it is in a different language so I don't really focus on the lyrics like I would if it were in English. But even in English it doesn't bother me most of the time.
shiv123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiv123.html

Post by shiv123 »

Scott wrote:Do you listen to music when you write? I like to listen to music when I work at my computer, but it distracts my line of thought sometimes when I'm writing. However, I don't have a problem if I listen to music without lyrics, such as classical music or instrumentals. I prefer to do that, because the silence makes me feel to restless to write. What about you? Do you play music or anything, or do you prefer to write in silence?
I don't listen when I write as I want to concentrate on writing.
epearl

Post by epearl »

I can only listen to music that I don't know the lyrics to. Otherwise I just find myself singing along with the words and not writing. If I don't know the words, though, I can just ignore it.

It depends on the day whether or not I listen to music. Sometimes silence distracts me more than some 50s blues or classical music.
arapier
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arapier.html

Post by arapier »

Oh absolutely I listen to music when I write.
I find that instrumental music helps when I want to stay focused on something in particular, but any kind of music helps me with writers block or if I'm feeling stuck.
deanfromaustralia
Favorite Author: Simon Winchester
Favorite Book: The Map That Changed The World.
fav_author_id: 6670

Post by deanfromaustralia »

I find that listening to classical or chill out music - music without vocals - are the best genres for writing. The lack of vocals keeps my head clear while allowing me to relax into the music. It stimulates something inside me that fires my imagination.
"...You think that's air you're breathing now?"
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I listen to classical music when I write, or alternative
BeccaCaley
Favorite Author: To many
Favorite Book: I could not honestly say
Currently Reading: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Post by BeccaCaley »

Sometimes I do because it relaxes me!
Sketched_Out
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketched-out.html
Latest Review: "Tribalism" by Clarence Mason

Post by Sketched_Out »

I don't listen to music
Latest Review: "Tribalism" by Clarence Mason
QueenCat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queencat.html

Post by QueenCat »

My background of musical training (Bachelor of Science in Music Education and Performance) demands that I pay attention to the music. So-o-o no I do not listen to music when I'm writing, it's very distracting.
Jennifer-Hamilton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-hamilton.html

Post by Jennifer-Hamilton »

I have to have music when I write, whether there are lyrics or not is irrelevant, its the noise I need. I am one of these people who has to have background noise, and music is a much better option to me than the television or a dvd as I am likely to get distracted by it.

Return to “Writing Discussion”