Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
frger
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by frger »

Yes, Vivaldi.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Yes, because it facilitates the writing process and makes it a lot refreshing.
StonesQuest

Post by StonesQuest »

I listen to music. Instrumental is what I use. Enya will be there sometimes. Yanni and Jim Brickman will be there. Sometimes, he has a singer. But if I listen to the soft music enough, the words don't phase me. There are moments when I find silence to be golden.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

and nature of music also influence the direction of writing.
keep.walking

Post by keep.walking »

I enjoy writing while listening Halloween, Metalica, Iron Maiden, Nigthwish, Magadeath, Blind Guardian as well as pop genres (Michael Jackson, NickelBack, Creed, Red Hot, and stuff). I am okay too with classical music, especially movie themes.

It is really inspiring to write listening The lord of the Rings sound track, Armagedon is also on my favorites, also Top Gun, The Good The bad and the ugly (love it), and many many others.

I have no concentration problems, When I was on University I remember I used to study for tests listening loud music all the time.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

keep.walking wrote: I have no concentration problems, When I was on University I remember I used to study for tests listening loud music all the time.
I salute you for that, its unthinkable for me.. I always thought it was very cool to do it, only it didn't work for me.. :(
Career Novelist

Post by Career Novelist »

I find myself listening to just about anything, so long as the music fits the mood I'm trying to create in the story, but when it comes to edits and revision, I work in silence.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Yeah because edits probably require more peace of mind..
Hearthackerpk

Post by Hearthackerpk »

I am wondering how can any one write when he is listening the music ?
Trillian

Post by Trillian »

Hearthackerpk wrote:I am wondering how can any one write when he is listening the music ?
well, I can only write while listening to music because the music helps me clear my mind to create a more vivid view on what I want to happen in the story I'm writing. ^.^
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

I manage like opera and academic, but I'm alright with lyrics too. But I was increased in a very blaring dwelling, as my mother is deafness in one ear, so I can melody out just about anything.
Brianconnell

Post by Brianconnell »

Well when i am doing research or writing on a new idea then i listen music. This thing helps me to write according to my imaginations.
Norma J. Rose

Post by Norma J. Rose »

I most certainly do! I absolutely love the 50's, and everytime I write, read, or just want to take a nap and relax, I put a 'Dean Martin' playlist and absolutely flow into a other world, the main reason is 'cause Dean Martin is... my favourite (basically, I don't know how to express myself when it comes to him :) )
Music whenever, wherever, doing whatever. :)
Josiewhitehead

Post by Josiewhitehead »

I write poetry with a rhythm and rhyme and it certainly helps me to have a tune in my mind when I am writing and this tune is often reflected in my work in a comical way. eg: Delaney's Donkey:

Now Delaney had a donkey that everyone admired

Mine:

A farmer had a cockerel,
The pride of any farm.
He strutted round the farmyard
And caused nobody harm.

The lady hens all loved him
And gazed at him with pride,
But the day that Cocky disappeared –
Well, everybody cried. - etc etc

Then: Mexican Hat Dance: Keep that tune in your head:

A hippo walked into a clinic
With a face that would cause you to scream:
"You really must help me please Doctor.
I need something to boost my esteem." etc etc.

So music helps me, but probably not in the same way as it does for most writers, ha ha. .
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

If it doesn't flow with the inspiration, then it interupts. If I'm composing furious battle view, entire with storm and body-fluid, Pantera is fine- but that might interupt a digression on my love life. I manage like opera and academic, but I'm alright with lyrics too

Return to “Writing Discussion”