Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by Scott »

Do you listen to music when you write? I like to listen to music when I work at my computer, but it distracts my line of thought sometimes when I'm writing. However, I don't have a problem if I listen to music without lyrics, such as classical music or instrumentals. I prefer to do that, because the silence makes me feel to restless to write. What about you? Do you play music or anything, or do you prefer to write in silence?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
knightss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by knightss »

when i write or read i can only listen to classical music. i enjoy Vivaldi.
lapowers

Post by lapowers »

no, I canot listen to music when I write. It distracts me away from my train of thought and most of my writing is philosophical/theological/ethical in nature...quite tedious if you ask me!
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

I am constantly listening to music, but it has to suit what I'm writing. If it doesn't flow with the inspiration, then it interupts. If I'm writing angry fight scene, complete with rage and blood, Pantera is fine- but that might interupt a digression on my love life. I do like opera and classical, but I'm okay with lyrics too. But I was raised in a very loud house, as my mother is deaf in one ear, so I can tune out just about anything.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
YoPlait

Post by YoPlait »

Yes, i play mostly Bright Eyes.. tends to work well with my thought process, he's either loved or hated but a great lyricist.
knightss

Post by knightss »

YoPlait wrote:Yes, i play mostly Bright Eyes.. tends to work well with my thought process, he's either loved or hated but a great lyricist.
his lyrics are good but i'm not much of a fan. the only song i truely like is lover i don't have to love.
ktmayo05

Post by ktmayo05 »

knightss wrote:
YoPlait wrote:Yes, i play mostly Bright Eyes.. tends to work well with my thought process, he's either loved or hated but a great lyricist.
his lyrics are good but i'm not much of a fan. the only song i truely like is lover i don't have to love.
aww. I think bright eyes is amazing.
I have to listen to music with everything I do. But when I'm READING a good book, I have to have silence.

when I write, I mostly listen to everclear - dmb - beethoven.... ehh, just depends on what I'm writing.
This is what happens when boredom has taken over.
YoPlait

Post by YoPlait »

ktmayo05 wrote:
knightss wrote:
awwww. I think bright eyes is amazing.
I have to listen to music with everything I do. But when I'm READING a good book, I have to have silence.

when I write, I mostly listen to everclear - dmb - beethoven.... ehh, just depends on what I'm writing.
i envy his singing voice, it's so disturbing... it's as if he is sinking with that voice but keeps afloat with his words.. calendar hung itself or haligh, haligh..

yes, reading and music don't work at the same time for me, attention span is shot as it is
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

ktmayo05 wrote:I have to listen to music with everything I do. But when I'm READING a good book, I have to have silence.
Yes I'm the same way. I find it very hard to read a book when there are other noises distract my attention.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
jl_rona

Post by jl_rona »

Scott Hughes wrote:Do you listen to music when you write? I like to listen to music when I work at my computer, but it distracts my line of thought sometimes when I'm writing. However, I don't have a problem if I listen to music without lyrics, such as classical music or instrumentals. I prefer to do that, because the silence makes me feel to restless to write. What about you? Do you play music or anything, or do you prefer to write in silence?
I do listen to music when I write. My poems are influenced by the music that I listen.

I practically create inspired by others' creations, so that's not fair...

~Vera
DriftwoodJames

Post by DriftwoodJames »

Not only do I listen to music when I type, but I actually had a soundtrack written FOR my novels, to fit the mood of my work, so I can get into character when I write, and see through the eyes of my world, its characters, and events.

If you want to check the music out, its beautiful instrumental music, heavily emotional, symphony and scores.

http://www.myspace.com/driftwoodaudio

You can actually download the music, however keep in mind that it is all copyrighted and cannot be altered without first the author's consent.

Enjoy!

J. Edward Nolan
DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

I have a bunch of playlists that are like soundtracks to my stuff, so while I'm working I can get into the mood of the story.

But in general, I can listen to anything while I'm working. As long as it's not completely silent. I despise the quiet when I'm working.
IRYS1

Post by IRYS1 »

In college, I was an English major, so naturally did a lot of reading and writing. I could only successfully study and do homework to instrumental music, mostly classical. Today, when I'm writing for myself or working on a story, I tend to listen to music that has some emotional connection, and the ideas seem to flow better. I have a playlist on my media player that has the title "miscellaneous", and another that has the title, "soundtrack to my story". When I write, sometimes I play music from those playlists. I think it helps; but if it ever becomes a distraction, like I need to get an idea out of my head and written down, then I just pause or turn down the music.
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

Sometimes listening to music can help me keep the mood for my writing. For example, if I am writing a sad passage, then it helps me to have sad music playing while I write it.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Sometimes I like to listen to music when I write, but I also like to go outside, maybe for a drive first before I write or just sitting outside. But yeah music playing softly in the background is cool :wink:

Return to “Writing Discussion”