Exposition in narrative or dialogue

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Exposition in narrative or dialogue

Post by jgraney8 »

I have just finished reading two books which are in a similar genre but have different approaches to exposition. Both books describe settings, nature, and actions in expository prose. One also gives history and character information in expository prose while the other presents some of the same information through dialogue. For example, one book portrays the character's background in several paragraphs telling us who the character is and his or her back story. The other book mixes some exposition in prose with other information coming through dialogues between the main characters or through dialogues of supporting characters. I find the second approach more appealing. Anyone have thoughts about this?
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I think it is mostly a function of opinion. Some people prefer to have information dumped on them so they don't have to really pay attention. Others, I would imagine most people, prefer to find out information slowly and dynamically. I'm in the latter camp. It helps to concentrate when information isn't just thrown at you and I think it shows a skillful writer to blend personality into dialogue and other things.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
KellaReads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KellaReads »

I’m all about exposition on the move (via dialogue and action rather than block-dumps). In my books I’m trying to finish, that’s how I focus on delivery of information: through character interaction or internal conflict/conversation.

Return to “Writing Discussion”