How do you publicize your book???

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
elleng
Bookshelf Size: 0

How do you publicize your book???

Post by elleng »

Hi to all!
I have been an online reviewer for Amazon and other sites, and now I am a full fledged author of an illustrated children's book, Flutterby. It is wonderful and response has been good.
How do you folks publicize your work? Book fairs? Advertisement? I have mailed copies to folks that may talk about it, but wanted your opinions.
Shameless plug - if you want personalized or autographed copy of Flutterby, please send check or money order for $12.00 (to cover postage) to Ellen George PO Box 71361 Marietta GA 30007.
Thanks and please give any tips for getting your book OUT THERE!!!
ellen
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

Hi Ellen. Did you get a book agent or are you self published?

Either way you need to nail down the key points:

Target Demographics

Regions

If your book has not been sold in most bookstores, look at buyers for the bookstores and then ask when they have opening for a signing and reading.

This is where the book agent comes in handy heh. Usually a publisher will also handle the promotion, book tour, and Signings/Readings.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gfilm always has such positive suggestions.
Ellen, I don't know what groundwork you've already done but would like to add three small ideas.

First, do you know any young school-age children? If so, ask their teachers if you could read to their classes. Also, approach the school librarian and volunteer to read during story time. Afterwards your book could be tied-in with art and craft activities. Maybe offer a copy of "Flutterby" for the best work of art. This has been successful for children's authors during Book Week. Build that fanbase, make sure a photo goes in the school newsletter!

Second, our local public library has many weekly activities for writers to showcase their work. Discussions, readings, workshops, storytelling and their books are displayed in a glass-fronted cabinet as suggested reading. Libraries have an extensive intranet system so get on first-name basis with the staff so they can recommend you.

Third, if your provincial newspaper or community magazine have a book review section, send (or preferably deliver) them a copy with a bio. Grandparents still read newspapers and favour local recommendations. Everything eventually goes online so word will slowly spread further afield.
Good luck!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
elleng

Post by elleng »

Gfilm and Maud!

Many thanks for the suggestions - I have been asked to do a reading at the local library, and have donated books to schools, but will continue to do so - have sent free copies out to folks that might spread the word.

Sending regional/county newspapers copies for review is brilliant! We still have a county newspaper that sends out local news -

I self-published for this reason - I had complete control - my illustrations were to my specs and beautifully created by author/graphic artist Gary Val Tenuta. I got to be part of the process for the cover, and am my own agent, chief cook and bottle washer, which I have discovered is a full time job!!

I am going to be at the Decatur Book Festival, the largest book fair in the country, selling Flutterby, and will be selling my book at the Atlanta Greek Festival.

I will also be going to indie bookstores and selling my books - word of mouth is a great thing - was told of a wonderful bookstore that accepts indie authors and they have readings and book signings!!

I appreciate this so much and will keep you posted - thanks for taking time to answer my question -

Thanks!!!

Shameless plug - for an autographed and/or personalized copy of Flutterby please write to me sending a check or Money order for $12.00 covering postage to Ellen George PO Box 71361 Marietta GA 30007

Thanks and best of luck to us all!

ellen
Josiewhitehead

Post by Josiewhitehead »

I think you are very wise to self-publish. I have had a terrible experience when I was published via an educational publisher last year. It has taken me a year to get my copyright back on my poems and I have said "Never again."
Writer44

Post by Writer44 »

I have found that blogging is very good publicity. A blog provides an avenue to reach a wide variety of people. It takes a while to build and audience, but if you generate interesting posts, eventually it takes hold. Plus, people "stay in touch" to see what's going on with the blog, which gives the opportunity to talk about the next book and so forth. Photos and videos are the most popular posts, by the way, and YouTube videos also generate interest in my novels.
the tiger fights

Post by the tiger fights »

Put up a web site. You'll have complete control again for content and appearance. Plus you can build a contact list or take orders. Good luck !
mouseofcards89
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book: Notes From Underground
Currently Reading: Precipice
fav_author_id: 9263

Post by mouseofcards89 »

I distribute free copies online.
"The world is a vampire/sent to drain/secret destroyers hold you up to the flames/And what do I get for my pains?/Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game."
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

Word of mouth is where sales come from. Give away free copies. Join LibraryThing and do the Member Giveaway, if you travel, leave copies at the airport so other travelers who forgot to buy a book can pick them up. Donate them. Host a give away on your social medium. Donate to charities such as Books for Soldiers and Books for Prisoners if adult and women's shelters, etc., for children's books.
authorkcfinn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Post by authorkcfinn »

Blogging plus word of mouth seems to be where 99% of my sales come from. I find that if you get the word out to a good amount of popular sites then they tend to do a lot of the promotion for you by recommending the book to their friends and send out social media publicity for you. Giveaways are quite good as well, for example if you can get people to sign up to your newsletter or follow you on FB/Twitter for a giveaway, then you've got them there listening the next time you want to advertise something.
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

Paying for book reviews such as this website?
Cindy864

Post by Cindy864 »

I don't know much about publicity, book promotion, etc.. sorry cant help a whole lot, but a simple google search gave me "onlinebookpublicity. com" hope that helps in some way.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Best way to advertise your book is social media. It is free and has an unlimited access, depending on the number of your friends. Sending emails is another good method. What I prefer is social media
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”