Which is Better: First Person or Third Person POV?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Rebecca8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which is Better: First Person or Third Person POV?

Post by Rebecca8 »

I would suggest you to go for the first person especially if you have something related to a suspense, horror or adventure.
OnionPickle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onionpickle.html

Post by OnionPickle »

I believe this depends on your amount of talent and the style of writing. In general, I prefer third person and I believe it is safer. It is also easier to write third person, but that might just be me.
hiluhriehope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiluhriehope.html

Post by hiluhriehope »

I generally prefer third person.
The only thing I have ever written in first person is the book I'm working on now, and it actually started out as third person. I just had this feeling, as I was writing, that I should write it in first person POV, and it, surprisingly, works much better.

I guess it's really what you think your story needs, and how many major characters there are.

First person POV does lend you more intimacy in your storytelling, and it has a tendency to create a more casual feel, but it's limited, of course, to one character at a time. You can switch between characters in first person, with proper separation, but it's more difficult to get multiple characters' POV that way, unless you're going to retell or summarize whatever just happened every time you switch characters. The more major characters you have, the harder it will be to pull off first person POV.

Third person encompasses all of your characters, usually, and everything going on at once, which can be handy. It's also, I think, a little easier to write in third person - although, this may just be personal opinion. Third person POV's drawbacks are first person's upsides: Third person can leave you with a lack of intimacy with your characters, and doesn't always give you the personal, casual tone often found in first person POV stories.
onourporch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onourporch.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Publishing Contest Votes: 10

Post by onourporch »

I always prefer to write in the first person. I just started writing for a different online publishing platform that prefers articles written in third person because it sounds more professional. It sounds more like a researched topic. I'm having a very difficult time switching my writing style.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
booksbycourtney
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: If I Stay
Currently Reading: Clash of Kings
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksbycourtney.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by booksbycourtney »

For me it depends what type of story I want to tell. Most of the time I will write in Third Person POV but if I want the story to be extremely emotional I will write in First person. Though I am not the good at writing in the First Person if I want to tell a good eventful story. I suggest Third Person just because you can do more things with it than first person. In my opinion
shameca120

Post by shameca120 »

I would have to say first person pov but only because I don't remember ever reading a third person pov type of book before. :)
John Macgregor

Post by John Macgregor »

I don't think that there is a 'better'. It may be more beneficial to look to the audience that you are writing for. For instance, children's books always use first person as this is what most young kids can identify with. To a certain extent, the same can be said about romance where knowing the intimate feelings of the protagonist is important. This may not be the case in other genera where the reader may be more open to other perspectives. My personal preference is to use 3rd POV. Pick a character for the scene and stick with it. As most books have many scenes (even in the same chapter) this allows you to more easily explore multiple characters and their own POV's. I would like to add that this approach will also allow you to use multiple POV conventions. Just stick with one convention per scene and make sure that there is a separation of the scenes so that you don't confuse the reader.
JennaNicole
Favorite Author: C.J. Redwine
Favorite Book: Defiance [trilogy]
Currently Reading: The Giver Quartet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennanicole.html

Post by JennaNicole »

To me, it depends on the story being told. It is easier for me to write in first person, but more difficult to read in first person if it isn't written well.

-- 16 Oct 2014, 13:36 --

To me, it depends on the story being told. It is easier for me to write in first person, but more difficult to read in first person if it isn't written well.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Third person because it is more fluid and less restricting compared to first person. Jumping from one POV to another is much easier.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I personally prefer third person. I don't know why, but I have an easier time putting myself in the story when it's third person. Very rarely do I think a first person novel is great, but there are some out there. However, there really is no better choice. Some stories work better in first person, some work better in third, and then there's your audience who may prefer one or the other (like me).
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

If you want to concentrate much on thinking, emotions like things, first person is better. But if you are more into describing environment and actions, third person will be much better
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

It all depends on what you are trying to do, the experience you are trying to convey. There is also the genre you are writing for to consider. Some seem to favor First Person, in others it really doesn't matter much.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I generally like third-person better, but in third-person, you have to work a lot harder to get into the heads of your characters.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

Personally, I like third-person more than first-person. I think it's easier to write in third-person POV because it's less limiting. However, if done right, first-person POV can be just as good. It really depends on the story you want to tell. The POV should fit your story.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I think third person is always better. This is because sometimes our characters have biases. If we write in the first person then the reader might feel that the writer is supporting those biases. But if we write in the third person then writers have plenty of scope to explain the situation and the place from which the character's biases stem.

Return to “Writing Discussion”