Respecting Styles

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
RGraf
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rgraf.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Respecting Styles

Post by RGraf »

I submitted a work for my class in creative writing. The instructor graded it with an A, but her comments was extremely critical on any style other than high literary fiction. She wanted me to describe in extreme detail the limbs of the trees outside and instead of saying "clear skies" to describe the exact shade of blue. She said I needed to read more Faulkner to improve my writing. I noticed with several other students that she was trying to get us all to write the same style.

Do you think a creative writing professor should be so narrow minded when it comes to writing styles?
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I think everyone has there own writing style, and the purpose of a creative writing course is to make one think more 'outside of the box.' I can't really comment on your question without reading your whole paper. Good luck with your course, it sounds challenging.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Stobam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stobam »

The way think and reason differs so depend solely on the writes
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Much depends on what the professor was trying to teach through this particular writing project.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I can certainly remember that feeling when I was back there, but it sounds like the instructor might have been trying to push the students to flesh out a scene. Maybe your story didn't need to relate the exact color of the skies, but the suggestion was meant to get you thinking about the scene in a little more depth than you might be used to.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

Perhaps your teacher wants to push you to show instead of tell. Telling is writing "clear skies"; showing would be to describe the color of the sky and the lack of clouds.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

"Do you think a creative writing professor should be so narrow minded when it comes to writing styles?"

I think you already have an answer.
Victoria7716
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victoria7716 »

I dont know what the assignment was however I had a similar experience where my teacher said the paper should be describing in detail a moment in time she said it could be a couple seconds but no longer, I did my paper where I jumped into a frozen lake I started from the moment my feet left the platform until my head emerged from the water a couple seconds later and she said I missed the whole point of the assignment my paper had too long of a period of time i described even though it was only a couple seconds. If your teacher persists in trying to get everyone to write this way for every paper then I would agree its narrow minded however if she only does it for this assignment maybe she didnt explain fully what she wanted so you and others all got the same criticism for 'missing the point' of the specific assignment.

Return to “Writing Discussion”