Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Writing » Writing Discussion

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published

Re: How To Get A Book Published

Post Number:#196 by Khaya
» 14 Nov 2016, 13:30

LeeCarver wrote:Scott, your introductory comments (written in 2011) indicate that typical steps in the process of traditional publishing is to get an agent, get a publisher interested by writing a query letter, and receiving an advance while the author writes the book. My experience and that of my author friends is that the book must be written--very well--in order to even get an agent. Advances are for authors who have already published successful books. I have an excellent agent, but I had to pitch a completed book to even get her interested in representing me. I'm now a "hybrid" author--both trad and indie published.

Thanks for clarifying that, that's what I thought. Was confused for a moment thinking I didn't need to have a completed manuscript first.
Khaya

Currently Reading: Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#197 by niccirae2003
» 05 Dec 2016, 04:50

I've just self-published my fifth novel - the last two had some interest from agents but were eventually turned down. Despite this, I am about to try again with my sixth novel as I remind myself that Douglas Kennedy wrote 13 books before finally getting an agent!
niccirae2003

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3 books

Post Number:#198 by Lady Countryrose
» 06 Jan 2017, 16:07

I use Createspace to publish a book. I have heard people going to Draft2digital for ebook publishing, but also use Amazon. If you do you Amazon, make sure you're not signing up for Kindle Unlimpted Publishing if you want to have your ebook in other stores.
Lady Countryrose

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#199 by Marcus Nannini
» 18 Feb 2017, 18:23

I would not rely on any one, or even any ten formats of a query letter. I believe in constantly striving to improve on a query letter along with tailoring some basic information to meet the likes/dislikes of an agent. I do not sent to any agent simply for the reason the source states the agent is looking for a book in my category. I learned the hard way about that. Instead, I spend a lot of time researching each agent to ascertain exactly what they are seeking now...not two years ago. I may even quote the agent as part of my query and I always keep queries to a single page.
Perhaps I am giving away my screenplay background, but to develop a one line hook, and start with it to get attention, is one of the approaches I have employed with results.
However, research is the first key. Researching to be as close to certain as you can be the agent to whom you are writing is likely to view your query favorably. If they say they will not accept sci-fi, then please do not waste your time or theirs. And always take a look at their recently published books as you might find what they are getting published contradicts what they are asking for.
It is not merely a matter of quantity of queries, it is a matter of targeted quality
Marcus A. Nannini
Marcus Nannini

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#200 by rajababa
» 22 Mar 2017, 07:05

Publishing books is getting easier if you can find the right media and publishing company
rajababa

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#201 by My Bookish
» 29 Apr 2017, 03:02

Publishing book is not only essential for writter but also much important for its readers around the world....
My Bookish

Currently Reading: Musicarolina
Bookshelf Size: 4 books

Previous