How do you start a novel?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Elizabeth Gipson
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-gipson.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

How do you start a novel?

Post by Elizabeth Gipson » 01 Sep 2018, 13:48

I have dabbled with the idea of starting to write a novel. However, I find myself with so many ideas that it is hard to just settle on one, or once I begin my story, I wonder if it is already written, or if I have to worry about copy write infringements because the type of idea. I really wanted to write a story that depicted why the villains in fairy tales were the way they were. Netflix did a great job in doing this in the movie "Once Upon A Time" But personally I don't agree with their background stories for most of them. If there is a series like this already I would very much like to know. My issue, is how to start it?

Harley-Panda
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Harley-Panda » 04 Sep 2018, 04:17

It can be a very difficult process to wrangle all of your ideas into one storyline. Generally, I use lots of spider diagrams to depict ideas about characters, plotlines and places. This helps me to figure out where more research is needed. I usually start on paper and then put it onto my computer, where I will make a timeline for the story events, and separate documents for all characters, places etc. I also often make a 'family tree' (including friends, not just family) just so that I can map out how everything fits in together.
It's quite a long process but basically what I do is get everything down onto paper so it isn't forgotten, and then I sort and organise all the ideas after.

As for the copyrights - I believe if a story is using elements of stories which are in the public domain then there shouldn't be an issue. Usually, once I have my idea set out, I'll try searching online for keywords of the plotline, character names, or places, just to see what sort of thing comes up. If it's out there then hopefully it should pop up! Also, you can try speaking to friends/family about your idea to see if they've read or seen anything similar.
Another commenter may (hopefully) be able to clarify about copyrights better as I am not an expert on this subject

Good luck with your novel!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps

Emmanuel ufom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel ufom » 04 Sep 2018, 12:50

U can start a novel
Firstly:knowing the main topic or stories
Secondly:observing the character to know how and when he or she can be place
Thirdly:A proper prepare caution in beginning the first topic
Fourthly: the first chapter should be properly arranged with paragraph and full stop
Finally:make sure it end well

KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks » 09 Sep 2018, 09:27

First I decide on the general premise if the story and the main characters. I next think about the day before their circumstances change- where are they and what are they doing? I like to know what the characters are like before their lives change. I may not include all of this information in the story, but I think it's important for me as the author to know.

FLAMENCO

Post by FLAMENCO » 10 Sep 2018, 15:22

Here are a few tips I found useful in my writing: First I composed a plot capsule - listing 10-12 chapters. Each chapter should contain part of the plot, the story line etc. Next, I determined the no. of characters (the few the better). Name them, young or old. After that I worked on weather, temperature, time etc. Once this is established, then I began the draft. Dialog is very important, and should be strong! Lastly, don't forget grammar and punctuation. Now GET STARTED.

jjmainor
Currently Reading: Bug Hunt
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by jjmainor » 10 Sep 2018, 22:00

Hollywood steals ideas all the time, so as long as you're not writing the scenario exactly as it appeared on TV or in the movies, you're free to give an idea your own spin.

Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph » 17 Sep 2018, 01:00

When I get an idea, I sit down and mark down the Plot Points. Then I do the Pinch Points. Somewhere along I fill a character questionnaire for each of my main characters. Then I fill in the details of the plot. Then I sit down to write.

Return to “Writing Discussion”