Are there any other autistic writers here?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Are there any other autistic writers here?

Post by a9436 »

I'm by no means a good writer, but I enjoy it and would like to improve, especially in regards to fiction and poetry. I struggle with giving in to my imagination rather than getting stuck in logic and facts, and understanding unwritten rules, such as when I can break grammar rules for the sake of artistic license. At school, my creative writing teacher just dismissed my lack of skills as being autism-spectrum related (I have Asperger's Syndrome), but I'd love to improve! Are there any other writers here with similar experiences or issues? How have you/are you improving your work?

Thanks for any replies!
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I am autistic and loosely a writer. I just am awful at getting my ideas down on paper...or onto the Google Doc, more correctly phrased.

I have a friend that just pesters me to write a little here and there, then I do it right when he says. To be honest, that's the only way I can get anything done.

My stories tend to be lacking detail because I know what I see when I read it and I just forget that not everyone has the same visuals and experiences as me.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I'm not autistic, but I found a story earlier this year by someone selling himself as mildly autistic The Nar-Nar Conspiracy is free on Smashwords, and I thought it was a lot of fun. Don't let your disability stop you. Write and put your work out there. In fact, promote yourself as autistic and show people what you're capable of.

Return to “Writing Discussion”