Using 'only' in a sentence

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Serenflippity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenflippity.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Using 'only' in a sentence

Post by Serenflippity »

Dear OBC editors and members

I am an aspiring author having joined OBC for the free reads and an opportunity to improve my writing.

While there are a myriad of resources on the internet, I get lost amongst the extreme grammarian gobbledygood explanations when trying to understand the correct usage of the word 'only'. Is there a grammatically correct rule governing its use? Let me illustrate my confusion with an example:

I will go with you only if you buy me an ice cream.
OR
I will only go with you if you buy me an ice cream.

Thank you in advance for your explanations and advice.

Regards
Serenflippity
quentaje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by quentaje »

To me, those examples are both correct. I'm curious about other answers. In the end, I think word order choice is mostly stylistic (in most cases) and should be up to the writer.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

If what I am assuming you mean to say is correct then both of the sentences used in the illustration are open to misinterpretation and are therefore less than the perfect way to state the thought in my estimation.

Both sentences can be misconstrued to mean:
"I will go with you exclusively (with you only and no one else) if you buy me an ice cream."

The correct way to write it and have the meaning clear to the reader would be:
"I will go with you provided that you buy me an ice cream."

This is assuming that my second illustration is the meaning you are attempting to convey.

The word "only" can cause a lot of problems. Another illustration would be:
"I only wanted to say that I agree with you."

Once again the person speaking COULD mean ... "I (and no one else) am the only one who wanted to say I agree with you." ... though the use of a comma after "I" and "only" could clarify the meaning.

These are fine points and hardly worth worrying about if writing dialogue, the reader will intuitively know what you mean to say; however, if one is striving for perfect, logical grammar one must be careful when using this word.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

Serenflippity wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 19:29
I will go with you only if you buy me an ice cream.
OR
I will only go with you if you buy me an ice cream.

Regards
Serenflippity
Both sentences seem to indicate a condition,
if you buy me an ice cream.
The first one emphasizes the condition by placing the only in near the condition. By moving the only in front of go with you, the only modifies
go with you.
It seems to indicate the condition for going is buying the ice cream. In other words, I will stay with you without you buying the ice cream. That may be more subtle than most readers will be aware of or care about.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays

Return to “Writing Discussion”