Run-on sentence.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Run-on sentence.

Post by hadizasalisu » 27 Jul 2018, 19:08

I am in dire need of help!!!!! No matter how hard I try,I just cannot be rid of run-on sentences. Does anyone have any helpful tips? I'm desperate!.

Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu » 27 Jul 2018, 20:17

Think of it like this: don’t join two ideas together. Use short sentences. Full stop.

history100
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-history100.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by history100 » 27 Jul 2018, 20:53

You might try printing out your review, then marking it up with a red pen. Draw a line between different ideas so you can see the problem. I am a visual person so it helped when I was able to see the red lines; I could see how many different ideas were being combined into one sentence.

Once you see the distinct ideas you can decide how to rewrite things. But for me, I needed to see all the red marks on the paper in order to fully understand the problem.
VickiJ

I have my books and my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor

jgraney8
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 » 11 Sep 2018, 22:26

Depending on your comfort with grammar, you can try marking subjects and verbs in your sentences and checking for when a new subject and verb come. At that point, you now probably have two clauses and a potential run-on. You can decide what to do with the new subject and verb. Marking with red as history100 suggests could help.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays

Return to “Writing Discussion”