Review Strategies and Taking Notes

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Review Strategies and Taking Notes

Post by Yssimnar »

While reading books, are there any note-taking strategies that work well for you? I want my content to be engaging and wonder if the secret resides in the notes.

What ways can we use the reading process to prepare a foundation for the review? How do you all approach this?
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I don't think this is what you are talking about but maybe you will find it useful.

I've mentioned in these forums before with regard to making notations in books that I just put a small period (very tiny / almost invisible) in the margin of a line that I want to go back to review later. I make the mark with a pencil and then put the page number(s) on one of the back flyleaves of the book. This saves marking up (thus defacing) a book. Also, it keeps a record of all the points of interest I've come across in the book with the book. For instance: I might read a beautiful passage and want to remember it as an inspiration to something I might write in the future. So I put a penciled (very small and light) period next to the beginning of that sentence and record the page number on the back flyleaf perhaps with a small notation beside the page number which says "beautiful phrasing". Anyone who later reads the book and comes to that page will not even recognize the period mark as intentional and would most probably think that it is a flaw in the paper or print. Only YOU will recognize it because you will be looking for it.

I can't tell you how many times I've been on the verge of screaming out loud when I come across used books covered in text which has been underscored in ink or gone over with highliters or writing. No reason for that at all if this system is used.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

I take notes while I'm reading the book but find it to be an onerous process. I note errors and whatever thoughts strike me for possible inclusion in a review. I start out with the date I began reading the book and the title and author, of course. Additional thoughts from someone who has been writing reviews for a while would be very much appreciated!
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

I just jot down quick notes on character, plot, structure etc. Otherwise, if it takes more than a day to finish a book, what I read at the start would be muddled up.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

When I read an ebook on my Kindle Paperwhite, I can take notes when I highlight something. When I finish the book, I send the notes to my email address. That way the notes are available for writing a review, and if I export the document as a csv file, I can copy information for pasting in the review process where I need to record the errors in the book.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

If the book is through Kindle I will usually highlight any errors or discussion points. I also keep either a notebook or a notepad file on my phone in which I jot down ideas for my review, and I write page numbers for each note so I can easily find it again. I try to make notes on characters/plotlines etc. whilst reading to draw back on for my review, and I note down anything like adult themes where necessary so that I don't forget anything in the review.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I see popular phrases other people have highlighted, and I always wonder why or what notes they wrote about those phrases...
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I've created a template in word, that helps me list my likes and dislikes about the book; plus any other notes I chose to add.

I highlight errors in blue, and passages I like in pink. I also highlight important plot points in yellow. I add notes to most of these highlights.

I don't write the summary until I've read the entire book.

After finishing the book, I wait one day to start the first draft and let things settle in my mind a bit.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Because of this issue of note taking, that's why I prefer reading books with my lithium eBook reader. I can takenote of useful points I felt important to use in my review, also to mark out errors.

Generally I do take note of: summary of each chapters or each themes, errors in the book and the overall idea of the book.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

If you are using this lithium eBook reader or any other eBook reader that can enable the reader to markout text, you can easily mark out some points there straightaway.
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

When I take notes, I color-code into a few different categories for ease later when writing the review. Right now, my categories are one color for errors/dislikes, one for things I like, one on theme, and one on contra-theme (because I'm interested in how it will resolve, if at all, as the story continues). I'll also include specific details about what's occuring for me as I read. For example, I'll highlight something I like in blue, and note "imagery" next to it.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I take notes while reading. I write down the feelings I get while reading, the errors and the characters.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Riptide
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Riptide »

jjmainor wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 21:09 I see popular phrases other people have highlighted, and I always wonder why or what notes they wrote about those phrases...
I've always been puzzled by this too. It always makes me wonder, "Do other people think this is deep?"
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis »

Yes, I take careful notes. Not obsessively, but when a certain passage or line evokes a response from me. I also make a note of characters as they are introduced, particularly if the book as a large cast. Going through these notes before I review helps me remember and keep track of the things I might like to mention in the review.
“Truth wasn't something you went out and found. It was wide and vast and deep and unending, and all you could hope to see was a tiny part of it. And to see that part and to mistake it for the whole was to make of Truth a lie.”
― Margaret Weis
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

It took me a long time to really start using any of the ereaders, but the inline highlights and notes I can take on my kindle finally sold me.

Return to “Writing Discussion”