Most unusual method you use to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
BeingTheWriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beingthewriter.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Most unusual method you use to write?

Post by BeingTheWriter »

I often times will resort to typing out stories on my phone (usually when I'm taking the bus home from work). So, I'm curious, what are some unusual methods you do to write out your stories/poems, etc.?
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I write different scenes in a story and later try to piece then together... I usually write the beginning and the end first before the others
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I'm working on graphic novels right now, so the images are created with DAZ3D and the actual writing is done in Gimp. It's actually a challenge because there is no spellcheck...
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

BeingTheWriter wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 15:29 I often times will resort to typing out stories on my phone (usually when I'm taking the bus home from work). So, I'm curious, what are some unusual methods you do to write out your stories/poems, etc.?
I do this too! Somehow I find I can write more when there's noise and movement around me than when I'm sat at home.

When I'm stuck for ideas I often listen to a song and try to create a story from it - it seems to get the creative juices flowing so I can carry on my writing.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I am a scene writer I suppose. I am also a pantser. I can create a scene fairly easily and pull my characters through it. I will sometimes take the worst possible thing that can happen and blindsied my main character with it. As I write this out, i allow the characters free reign on how to deal with their situation. (No preconceived notions of what they will do or how they will do it.) when the scene is finished I will set it aside and go on. After a while I will go back and put the scenes together into a coherent story form, providing whatever bridges or connectors are needed.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

I was taught this fun writing exercise called Strange Bedfellows at a workshop earlier this year, and I have to say that it's pretty unusual. You make two lists: one of things you know well enough to have a conversation about, and one of different themes or tropes in storytelling. Then, you pick one thing from each list randomly, ideally two things that shouldn't mesh well. Then, write!

A personal example is Playing D&D/Technology is Evil! I wrote a silly synopsis about a D&D group that is torn apart because their barbarian orc won't stay off of his new phone. Another personal example is Board Game Nights/Sins of the Father! In this story, the people of this world love board games, and the protagonist is a young man who comes from a line of butthurt board gamers! He's used to throwing fits whenever he loses a game, but when he meets the girl of his dreams, he realizes that he has to get past his butthurt ways, so he goes on a journey to amend the sins of his fathers!

Return to “Writing Discussion”