Characters Are Stuck...

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
writerlady1904
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerlady1904.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Characters Are Stuck...

Post by writerlady1904 »

My characters in my story are stuck. In the story, they have broke out of a North Korean prison and have fled up into the snow capped mountains and headed for the Chinese Border. I didn't have any trouble getting them up there but now...getting them across the mountains and over the border...everything I'm writing just sounds stupid, fake or forced. Up until this point, the story has a good pace. Now, it has slowed down and stalled out. lol. How can I believably get them across the border and to safety? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :techie-studyingbrown:
MatthewSteele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MatthewSteele »

That is a tough one, though an interesting plot you have going. Without knowing too much of what is going on in the story I would possibly recommend researching some of the risks of mountain climbing/hiking and implement some of those into the story, maybe find ways that people have overcome these challenges. There are plenty of blogs/websites dedicated to this sort of adventuring. Depending on what's going on you could also involve some North Korean tracking teams that are on their tail. Also depending on the novel and where you're going with it, this may be a good point to have one of your expendable characters make a heroic sacrifice :)
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

If all else fails, have somebody come in and attack them. If nothing else, it forces you to keep the story going.

I got that little nugget of wisdom from an old writing teacher back in grade school. Nothing like a blunt force, out-of-the-blue brawl to get the creative juices flowing. :D
writerlady1904
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerlady1904.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by writerlady1904 »

Thank you both for taking time to respond and give your advice. I do have a minor character I wouldn't mind killing off. They are being chased by North Korean prison guards and dogs, but right now they just hear them in the distance. I should probably let them have at least one battle with them to make it more interesting. At least, you have given me plenty to think about! Thank you both very much :)
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu »

writerlady1904 wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 18:03 Thank you both for taking time to respond and give your advice. I do have a minor character I wouldn't mind killing off. They are being chased by North Korean prison guards and dogs, but right now they just hear them in the distance. I should probably let them have at least one battle with them to make it more interesting. At least, you have given me plenty to think about! Thank you both very much :)
If you're not afraid to go for an ending where there's a lot less happiness, I'd argue that it could be more poignant to lead the story to an ending where either a) the majority of the characters die and show the gravity of their situation or b) all the central characters are killed in an epic standoff that at least validates one of the major character's arc and ends how most situations like these would realistically end.

Just my two cents.
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

One exercise I’ve used before is to just skip the scene I’m struggling with and continue writing at the next point I’m certain of. Sometimes that can give you insight as to how they got there. It doesn’t always work, but sometimes it can help.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I agree with Kyrenora (above) with the added suggestion ...

This is an excellent place in your story for the use of flashbacks to tell the backstory of the people making the journey. This allows "real time", which may be boring to the reader if journeying through the snow is extended at length, to pass while the backstories are being told. When you resume the "real time" narrative have your characters at the Chinese border and ready to cross. The reader will subconsciously fill in the lapse of protracted time with visions of the characters trudging through the snow during the period that the backstories were being told.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

DATo wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 00:42 I agree with Kyrenora (above) with the added suggestion ...

This is an excellent place in your story for the use of flashbacks to tell the backstory of the people making the journey. This allows "real time", which may be boring to the reader if journeying through the snow is extended at length, to pass while the backstories are being told. When you resume the "real time" narrative have your characters at the Chinese border and ready to cross. The reader will subconsciously fill in the lapse of protracted time with visions of the characters trudging through the snow during the period that the backstories were being told.
Agree with this wholeheartedly. A lull in the action is a great place for backstory, or the character moments that would drag down any other part of the story.

Another suggestion might be to focus on the cold and the creeping frostbite. Showcase them suffering from the elements, slowing them down while the enemy closes in.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I kind of agree with Matthew and YL. Sometimes when characters are stuck it's because the story is really meant to be a tragedy. I don't usually intend to kill off beloved characters, but I write myself into corners and then it turns out that the book really needed a tragedy.

Or, if you want a REALLY creative solution ... Yeti!!!

But, since your first posted back in June, I'm hoping this post is late and you're already unstuck by now.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

Blow something up. I mean, look at the situation, what is the worst that can happen at this very moment? maybe make a list of things, put one of the items into play, and watch what your characters do to deal with it, and have them keeping an eye on that pathway to freedom as they do it.

Return to “Writing Discussion”