CockyGate

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

CockyGate

Post by CommMayo »

Is anyone following the story of CockyGate? In short, a romance novelist trademarked the word "cocky" and started sending letter to multiple authors and threatening legal action. She even got Amazon in on the act and many other romance authors were bullied into changing already published book titles. In response to the intimidation tactic, one author changed the name of her book, The Cocky Cowboy, to The Cockiest Cowboy to Have Ever Cocked.

From what I've read, while Faleena Hopkins was issued a trademark for the use of Cocky in her Cocky Series, she is completely overstepping when threatening action against any other author who dares to use Cocky in a book title. Amazon has since stopped preventing other Cocky titles from being submitted and sold via their formats. In reaction, a cadre of well known romance authors have put a book together called Cocktales in order to raise funds for authors impacted by this and other types of creative obstructionism and another advocacy fund.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I'd read a little about this, but didn't realize she took it so far! It's a shame the lengths people will go to just to prove they can.I'm sorry to hear that Amazon is getting in on forcing other authors to change titles, too. That's ridiculous.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Return to “Writing Discussion”