Do you get paid to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
cooltodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you get paid to write?

Post by cooltodd »

Do you usually get paid to write? Did you ever get paid to write? Or, do you write just for fun or something?

Besides money, why do you write?
DriftwoodJames

Post by DriftwoodJames »

every six months I get a royalty check.
IRYS1

Post by IRYS1 »

I've never gotten paid for my creative efforts, unless you count a few cents here and there on a blog site. I've been a part-time journalist, where I got paid something like 20 cents per word. Occasionally, I've been paid to help people write/edit their resumes.

I write mostly because it's a great release of what's on my mind. I'm good at it, so I am usually pleased with the finished product. One day, before too much longer, I'd like to get a book of fiction published and end up on the best seller's list. A Pulitzer would also be nice. :)

I work full-time in a mostly administrative capacity. I write a little here and there to keep my skills sharp, but most of the creative writing I do is on my own time, for now.
msstroda

Post by msstroda »

I get royalty checks ever six months and have had poems and more published in magazines and newspapers. I have also had book signings where I of course made money selling books. :)
Julie20201

Post by Julie20201 »

usually, no....I did write some fantasy for a video game and that did pay...sweet deal
nivinadib

Post by nivinadib »

msstroda wrote:I get royalty checks ever six months and have had poems and more published in magazines and newspapers. I have also had book signings where I of course made money selling books. :)
how can i get paid for what i write ?
Kyle22

Post by Kyle22 »

Getting a book published is probably the best way to get paid to write. Of course, there are more people who want to get their book published than people who do.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

Do you usually get paid to write?
Nope. I do it because I love it.

Did you ever get paid to write?

I've never gotten paid, actually. I always just... write.

Or, do you write just for fun or something?
Definitely yes. My novels are acutally for my own personal enjoyment. Perhaps one day I'll publish but as of now I'm going to sit back and write and not worry about it.

Besides money, why do you write?
Well I don't write for any money but I do write because it's my passion - and that basically sums is up. There are endless reasons why I write so I won't list them all here.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

lol, Yes I get paid to write...among other things my boss wishes for me to do :)
roddglenn

Post by roddglenn »

I get royalty cheques every 6 months like a couple of the others and I get one off payments for workshops etc. I didn't start writing to get paid though - I write first and foremost because I love it.
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I get paid for what I write, yes. And I only write per order, that is articles, web content, and some product descriptions for brochures and more.
I was hired to do the writing, started as a freelancer, now having a full-time job.
RichardG

Post by RichardG »

I have never got paid for writing, may be i should try to do it. But i have helped out people in preparing resumes and word documents.
ceejay77

Post by ceejay77 »

I have a number of stories I would like to see published how do you go about having them seen and who do you need to contact??
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Yes, I work for several online writing networks and get paid to write. They don't pay much, but it's something and I have received several repeat clients through the exposure.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I have been paid for some poems, short stories, and translations, but by no means enough to live on. Am now thinking of finally getting serious with a novel - daunting! Have a few ideas swirling round ....
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Writing Discussion”