Do you get paid to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you get paid to write?

Post by DATo » 01 Nov 2017, 04:48

I get paid not to write. My last poem blinded three readers. I can't swim either. [:- (

*LOL* No, I've never been paid for anything I've written. I write only as a hobby.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya » 10 Dec 2017, 20:41

Depends on what I'm writing. Some places I submit to pay if they accept my work, some competitions pay (that was one the university entered for me though so I don't know if you'd count that). I write medical articles for a dashboard so if someone buys those, I get paid a little. And one day I hope to finish a novel and publish it, so hopefully then? Otherwise, submitting to places that don't pay money, or writing things I don't plan to try and publish, or fanfiction or university assignments (technically, we pay for those instead, lol).

As for why I write, for the most part I like writing. It's a hobby, and a free one for the moment so I don't have to worry about my debt (from university fees, mostly) getting any bigger. And I can write while I'm at lectures, or on attachments, or in the train/bus, or not feeling particularly sleepy... Not between exams, sadly. They take all our scrap paper.

fergie
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie » 20 Dec 2017, 08:01

I've had the odd payment from a published short story, but would ideally love to more professional and be able to eke out a living from writing. At the moment it's on average one small payment every 3 or 4 years, which won't exactly pay the mortgage :wink2:

Return to “Writing Discussion”