Writing about a places you have never visited

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Writing about a places you have never visited

Post by KRay93 »

Have you ever ran into this kind of situation?

At the time, I'm writing a science fiction novel that takes place in the near future. However, for reasons of thematic and style, it takes place in a city that I have never been to. While it has some parallels with the place where I live (it's a cosmopolitan city, capital of a nation and its main trade and commerce center), I always wonder how limited is my perception of it. Of course, I'd love to travel to this city some day, but in the meantime, I have to compensate with what I saw in movies and photos and what I've read in books. Nowadays, I also have the benefit of internet and tools such as Google Maps and Google StreetView (praise be), and I have taken into account the cultural factor and its historical roots when it comes to research. Moreover, I can also disguise my shortcomings by the particular setting of the plot and set aside certain details in its favor.

Anyway, I would like to know about your experiences, and why not, some of your advices on the matter.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

What an interesting question. But I wonder why, if it's sci-fi, you need to name a specific real city? Couldn't it just be like what you imagine this place to be, and give it another name? Or then again, if it's a real place but in the future or in an alternative universe or something - well, it doesn't matter if you get it wrong as it would have changed. I suppose people writing about the past often have similar problems. Take London, for example, there are some old buildings that have remained intact, but they don't tell you about what the city was like in those days. You can look at maps, I suppose and read contemporary accounts, but you would still have to engage imaginatively and take risks.
DougBLedford
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DougBLedford »

Hey, KRay93. I think you're doing the right thing as it pertains to this quandary. It would be nice if you could visit the city you are talking about at some point because nothing can replace a first-hand observation. Nevertheless, using the Internet to view pictures, maps, and to conduct cultural research is the next best thing. And as Libs_Books points out, because it is science fiction, don't be afraid to add your own flair to this fictional setting. With that said, however, I would encourage you to visit this "real" city for one reason: to experience the sounds and the interactions of the people. This is something you won't find on the Internet. Good luck!

*Happy writing, and God bless my friend."
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

It is interesting to do so. But for your reader to really believe about the place, you have to make it a point to make them feel that you have been to that place. So you have to really to do research. Which is why a person who travels a lot or who've been to a lot of places can get so much idea from those places. In the same way, they can bring people to those places to.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Traxy
Currently Reading: Breaking Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B004S40V1C

Post by Traxy »

If it's far in the future, I don't think it matters too much, although it would probably help to set a realistic tone about weather and climate. Unless, of course, climate has changed in the future. If a place is known as "the windy city" or "the city of light" then it might be nice to have an idea of why. There are things you can discover by going somewhere that you wouldn't necessarily know otherwise. What self-respecting tourist guidebook would tell you that actually, the canals in Bruges can be a bit smelly? That's not a great advertisement for an otherwise beautiful city, so unless you went there and smelled them yourself, you wouldn't necessarily know that.

Says the person who is trying to write about post-war Vienna, having never been there, and basically only has a film as guidance ... I'm planning on going there, though, at some point. :)
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Yes. My first book was set in modern Chicago. I used google maps to walk around. I located names of stores and did research on each and went from there. One of my editors happened to formally be from Chicago and said it felt like she was there, which I was very pleased with obviously.

I would definitely suggest this to anyone writing in modern day verses and can't travel.

For those of you who are writing past worlds, consider taking a history class. I wrote a unpublished short story based off a greek history class I had. The professor was amazing and made me feel like I was there. Try googling local history professors and emailing them to. They'll be able to offer research suggestions and are most willing to help in my experience. In my freshman year of college, I met the history professor department head. We had deep conversations about ww2 history (his area of expertise) and he was even happy to read my work and give suggestions. Of course, if the piece ever gets published he will have recognition.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

See what you can find on travel blogs and such. The internet is amazing, and people are much more straightforward than most guidebooks. Try searching Pinterest, Instagram, and similar sites for peoples pictures and posts. Reading about other peoples experiences and favorite off-the-main-track places in a city might give you a more "real" feel of it that would hopefully come across to your readers.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

You could always use Facebook or other social media to connect with real people who live in that said city, and then maybe ask them a few questions about the place they live, to clear up any misconceptions you might have.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
muhammmad riaz

Post by muhammmad riaz »

i never visited the newzeland.i only visited this through social media. this is an amazing place in this world.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Find out if there is anyone here from the place you want to write about, or find a chat room from a place you want to write about and simply ask the people there (or here) if they would help you by answering the questions you need answered.

One of the stories I have posted in the forums here is stated to have taken place in England; however, the real-life youngish person in the story grew up in Scotland. Furthermore, I refer to a distance in a city as would be expressed in USA "blocks". I found out that the Brits do not use this term in their measurement of city distances. These things were kindly corrected by an Englishman at another writer's website that I frequent. Once posted I do not correct my stories. I feel to do so would be dishonest. I'm weird that way I guess. Anyhow, don't make the mistake I did. Interview people from the land you are writing about before you post your story publicly because, believe me, you will be told about any errors later.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I did try to write a children's book and it took place in Isreal. It winded up being mostly a trip to a museum in Israel and inside someone's home. I tried to describe the home as I imagined it or through photos I found on the internet. Photos helped a lot. As long as you can find the right ones, though.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

I was advised by the author, Carolyn Haines, to never choose a setting that can't properly be described. "Write what you know." It may be time for a research-based trip into the setting of your piece. Otherwise, you risk losing credibility with sub-par descriptions of the environment you're creating.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

When I've written about a place in the future, I've found that going through a world building list really helps, and even drawing up a basic map! Like, how does this city function on a boring level? Is it a business hub? Is its draw the food sectors? Even looking at architectural design really helps too, especially if it's a city in the future. Where does it draw its design from? etc etc
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

I think the level of detail depends on whether your character is in this city as a visitor or a native. You can get away with a lot if it's as a visitor. However, natives will always know when you are fudging!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

What I prefer is to write the main story straight away, with less background details. So the problem of not knowing about places rarely matters to me
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”