Best online or downloadable grammar check

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Best online or downloadable grammar check

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Hey! I've been told to use a grammar check before submitting reviews. I did use two actually for the last one, but some mistakes still slipped out. Can anyone recommend me the best one out there? It can be either online or a downloadable application for my desktop. I would really appreciate it.
WingTaken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wingtaken.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by WingTaken »

The best grammar and spell checker I encountered so far would be Grammarly, I think.
It is downloadable as an extension and not too intrusive (it finds your errors and underlines them and offers improvement, but you can also click on ignore).
I know there's a premium version you have to pay for, but I am using the free one and it's cool. The only thing you might want to consider is that the extension only spellchecks your writing within the browser (at least, that's what it does for me), but you should have some sort of preinstalled writing program (Word, Pages, etc) that includes a spellchecker as well.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I tried Grammarly but I haven't found it very effective. Maybe I'm using it wrong. Thank you for the tip, though!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

WingTaken wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 11:29 The best grammar and spell checker I encountered so far would be Grammarly, I think.
It is downloadable as an extension and not too intrusive (it finds your errors and underlines them and offers improvement, but you can also click on ignore).
I know there's a premium version you have to pay for, but I am using the free one and it's cool. The only thing you might want to consider is that the extension only spellchecks your writing within the browser (at least, that's what it does for me), but you should have some sort of preinstalled writing program (Word, Pages, etc) that includes a spellchecker as well.
I have the free version of Grammarly and use it within Microsoft Word.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Ok. Thank you.
authorswrite
Currently Reading: From Hill Town to Strieby
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by authorswrite »

Have you tried Hemmingway? It is free and actually very good. I also have a book for you to try.Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing. It is on Kindle for next to nothing and serves as an excellent reference.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

authorswrite wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 19:55 Have you tried Hemmingway? It is free and actually very good. I also have a book for you to try.Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing. It is on Kindle for next to nothing and serves as an excellent reference.
Ok. Thanks you.
Hannah Mo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mo.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hannah Mo »

I use grammarly, then I place it in google docs and use the spell checker there, then I place it in word and use the spell checker in there. That usually ends up getting most if not all of the mistakes.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Grammarly is the best if you can spend some money 💰 on that. They let you download it to your pc, and they have a keyboard for mobile phones, which will auto correct you. There are free checkers as well, but their accountability is questionable
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”