Thinking of writing a book.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
edaurio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Thinking of writing a book.

Post by edaurio »

So basically I think my dad’s family has a really good story to write a book about but I don’t know how to go about it. I feel like one book is hard to fit all the crazy stories into. He has 11 siblings and each of them literally have lived a crazy life. So I don’t know... should I separate each character to their own book, or do they have their own chapters. Also I don’t know if it would be better from my point of view or theirs. I’m not exactly sure how I can go about this. I’m thinking of putting some stories up on here and getting some feedback, too. Maybe that would help.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

It's hard to really give you a good recommendation based just on this, but have you considered doing a short story collection? You could do a story from each sibling's POV as they all grow up through the years. I think it'd end up being similar to giving one chapter to each of them. Difference being of course that if you think of each event as it's own story, then you'll have to come up with a beginning, middle, and end for all of them, whereas in a normal book you don't have to stress so much about a climax in each chapter.
billaicher
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by billaicher »

I recommend the short story approach as well. If you tried including all those characters and each one's point of view in a story, it's going to get really complicated.

Also if these are going to be pretty true to life, you are going to want to get permission to write about these people.
authorswrite
Currently Reading: From Hill Town to Strieby
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by authorswrite »

Why not write short stories of each sibling? Then you can decide about a book. The short stories could be an impetus to help you settle this in your mind too.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

authorswrite wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 19:23 Why not write short stories of each sibling? Then you can decide about a book. The short stories could be an impetus to help you settle this in your mind too.
I agree in writing it as a short story first.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

When there are many characters I always use third person perspective. It helps to delve from one point of view to another without annoying the reader much. As for the 11 siblings, it depends on their story. Do you find their stories worthy of a whole novel? Interesting enough? If so, go for it. But, if you think some parts of their story interesting, you could add them all in one book like you said to prevent the reader from getting bored.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Just start writing how you encountered with each of them and then go on elaborating each character a bit further
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Start by reading other memoirs, not necessarily of famous people who have had ghostwriters do all the work for them, but the regular my-crazy-family kind of books. They are all over Amazon. You can get a feel for what is already out there and see what method works and what doesn't.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I agree that the short story approach is a great idea.

It might be good to start making notes of which stories from their lives you would like to pick, and then you can look out for themes etc. Its also worth doing some mind maps and such just to plan out the main details of each story, and to see how much crossover there would be between them (e.g. does each story involve other siblings within it, or are they just about the protagonist and not other family members).

It might be useful to draw up a family tree, as this could help with your planning but also help the reader to understand the family dynamic better.

Good luck!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

authorswrite wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 19:23 Why not write short stories of each sibling? Then you can decide about a book. The short stories could be an impetus to help you settle this in your mind too.
I think this is a great idea! You should give it a try, IMHO!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

Honestly, there are a lot of times when I get an idea for something that I really want to write, but it's not fully fleshed-out. I don't always necessarily know where I'm going with it, and I've found that just starting to write it helps me to figure that out. Worry about the narrative first. Then in your next draft, you can make it fit into whatever it wants to be - whether that's a novel, a short story series, or a series of novels.

Return to “Writing Discussion”