How to start writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
pauly1740
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

How to start writing

Post by pauly1740 »

Good afternoon everyone.
I am a potential writer who has been procrastinating for a while.
I would like some input on just where and how to start.
I am a much traveled Navy retiree who has 20 years of Navy life to share.
KcA

Post by KcA »

For me, I would say what works is first getting an idea. I tend to procrastinate as well and when I do, I try to get back by reading a new book or totally immersing myself in the idea I came up with. That usually helps me get excited at the prospect of writing again. Then, the next thing to do would be to map out the basic structure of events for your novel. It is subject to change but it always helps to have a framework. Then, write, write, write. Set a schedule for how often you want to write, how much you want to write each time and when your deadline is. If you have a set schedule and you actively work towards it, you should be able to complete your girl. I hope this helps!
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

The hardest step is always the first. But in the end is all about the habits, you need to create a habit to write X page or Y number of hours per day mininum. If you keep waiting for ''the right moment'' it will never happen, you need to start doing and by the workflow you will feel like it.
Carmel Bachelor
Currently Reading: Their Eyes were watching God
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmel-bachelor.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Carmel Bachelor »

I agree with the other responses, start with an idea and be consistent with your writing. If you have trouble with first deciding on an idea, take something from your life to get started. With 20 years experience in the Navy, you can definitely write something related that, even if its just get you started and get your fingers tapping away!
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

I generally just start hand scribbling in a notebook any and every idea that comes to my head; everything I think I might want to write.
When that seems to have run it's course usefulness-wise I start getting deep into characters if I'm writing fiction; filling A4 sheets with details and backstory and their arc for the Book, but you mightnt be writing fiction.
When you have plenty of ideas and info then start putting words on the page!
This works for me anyway, but everyone is different you have to find your own style too :)
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

For me the hardest part is summoning enough creativity to come up with a good idea. Most of my writing is actually writing scripts for videos or posts on different internet sites, so I have to think of a good way to approach the audience. Since everyone has different goals, you should determine what your goal is before you start the writing process. Afterwards it should all be about your creativity and skill.
StarsAtNight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by StarsAtNight »

I think how to start writing has to do with why we want to write;
Once you know what (purpose, or who in some cases ;) you're writing for, you'll figure out what you're going to be writing about- and then you start writing almost automatically.

Keep your morals in your heart and your inspiration in your mind. ;)
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

It sounds like you have the potential to share some great stories. I empathize with you, though, in what to do first and how to start, but the others here have some great advice. I found that writing the easiest sections first works for me. There also might be free online resources about beginning writing and planning a book. I haven't looked specifically for that, yet, but I have found free online classes for journalism, so there are probably similar things for book-writing. Good luck, and reach for the stars!
pauljames_03
Currently Reading: The Prisoner and the Chaplain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauljames-03.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by pauljames_03 »

I really think that there is no special moment or right moment to start writing. As much as language is innate, writing is something to be worked on. One should just start writing, that's all.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Jot down some words.. Anything really. Don't embark on a huge project immediately. Start slow with a few sentences, maybe a poem. Try working your way up as you go.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Ziggler

Post by Ziggler »

I happen to be caught up in dat same net of procrastination. But de best way to start with is having a clear cut of what u want to write about, your audience and a ready mind. Then start it immediately, don't drag ur feet. Put down every idea that comes to ur head. And there u are, the author u always desire to be
Boltonmatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Boltonmatt »

Just write. It doesn't matter what, just write it. It won't be prefect. It probably won't even be any good. But that doesn't matter, because once you have started, then you start to learn how to write. You will finish with a first draft, which is the bare bones. Then you go back and edit, which is when you put a bit of flesh on it. Then you edit again, which is when you add the clothes. Then you colour the clothes. I'm sure you get the idea. By your final edit, you are a writer, you have learned what works for you, and your first draft will be barely recognisable in your finished product. But without that first draft, there will never be a finished product.
DougBLedford

Post by DougBLedford »

Hey, pauly1740. I think you've been given some great advice already; nevertheless, I think I'll add to the discussion. First off, you have to decide what genre you want to contribute to. Fiction? Non-fiction? Maybe a historical novel? Sci-fi? Or perhaps you'd like to take a stab at the long lost art of poetry? (If I were you, I would maybe consider an autobiography. Twenty years in the service must yield some terrific stories!) After you have selected your category of writing, I would then conduct as much research as possible on what constitutes a compelling entry in that particular genre. For example, what makes an autobiography successful? Then, it's time to start outlining, and this is arguably the most important stage in the writing process. After that painstaking ordeal, there's only one thing left to do -- write!

Just remember this: You don't have to be formally trained to be a writer. Sure, it will be hard at first, but everyone has to start somewhere. Also, as a writer, I don't really believe in procrastination. I think it's more intimidation. Don't let writing intimidate you! If you do find yourself intimidated, there are a number of daily writing prompts on the Internet that will help relieve this tension. These prompts will certainly help you to begin writing, and they will also get the creative juices flowing. Good luck!

*Happy writing, and God bless my friend.*
Ese22osa
Currently Reading: Shellbee's Story
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ese22osa.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ese22osa »

From several comments I read, a part of me has been awakened. I have not written any short story or poetry though I always have the urge to. I think I have got courage now to write, if not for publication at least for personal development.
authorswrite
Currently Reading: From Hill Town to Strieby
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by authorswrite »

I have three letters for you. BIC. Butt in chair. Sit down and start writing. Pen to paper activates deeper parts of our imaginations. So sit and put the pen to the paper. Make words lists of sensory words, great verbs, etc. All of this helps especially when you are new and just beginning to think about writing.

Return to “Writing Discussion”